Transposing Formula: How to Make "l" the Subject

• Thread starter ianNe5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with transposing a formula, specifically making "l" the subject. They mention being confused because there are three values being multiplied by themselves, and they are used to simpler formulas. Another person suggests using the same strategy as making "v" the subject by dividing both sides by Bl and cancelling. They also ask if the person understands "factor," "product," and "reciprocal."
ianNe5
Hi all

Need some help on transposing formula's.

I know I've tranposed before, but was years ago.

Returning to college etc,
the formula is

e=Blv

whats confusing me is there are 3 values being multiplied by themselves, all my previous formula's have been V=IR ect, those I find easy.

How would I make "l" the subject

I know to make "v" the subject I would just divide both sides by Bl then cancel etc.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you apply the same strategy to solve for "I" or - in your terminology - to make "I" the subject...divide both sides by B v and then cancel ..

lol...yeah I am not with it today

to IanNe5 in post #1, do you understand "factor" and "product"? Then, also do you understand "reciprocal"?

1. What is transposing a formula?

Transposing a formula is the process of rearranging the elements of a mathematical equation, such as changing the subject of the formula, without changing the accuracy of the equation.

2. Why do we need to know how to make "l" the subject of a formula?

Making "l" the subject of a formula allows us to solve for a specific variable in an equation. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as finding the length of an object or determining the concentration of a solution.

3. What are the steps to make "l" the subject of a formula?

The steps to make "l" the subject of a formula may vary depending on the specific equation, but generally it involves isolating "l" on one side of the equation by using inverse operations to cancel out other variables or constants. For example, to make "l" the subject in the equation A = 2l + 5, we would first subtract 5 from both sides, then divide both sides by 2, resulting in the equation l = (A - 5)/2.

4. Can any formula be transposed to make "l" the subject?

Yes, any formula with "l" as one of the variables can be transposed to make "l" the subject. However, some equations may require more complex algebraic manipulation and multiple steps to achieve this.

5. How can I check if I correctly transposed a formula to make "l" the subject?

You can check if you correctly transposed a formula by substituting your solution for "l" back into the original equation and ensuring that it remains true. You can also use a calculator or online equation solver to verify your result.