Uncovering the Mysteries of Log Laws: Exploring the Equations e^lnx and 8^log8x

• Thread starter escryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws Log
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between ln(x) and e^x, and how they are inverse functions. It is explained that this is largely a matter of definition and cannot be shown algebraically. The conversation also discusses the definition of log and how it relates to exponential functions.
escryan
I don't know how I managed to forget this one, but I did somehow...

If there's something like:

e^lnx, why is that equal to just x?

and same goes for sokmething like:

8^log8x which is just equal to x.

I'm just wondering how, algebraically, one could show this to be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
You generally DEFINE ln(x) to be the inverse function of e^x. Or vice versa depending on which you define first. So you don't show it algebraically, it largely a matter of definition.

well, by definition of log we have

[tex]log_a(x)=b<=> a^b=x[/tex]

Now let's substitute [tex] b=log_a(x)[/tex] in
[tex]a^b=x[/tex] So:

[tex]a^{log_a(x)}=x[/tex]

Or, since [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=log_ax[/tex] are inverse functions, so it means that they cancel each other out. That is

[tex]fg(x)=f(g(x))=x=>a^{log_ax}=x[/tex] and also

[tex] g(f(x))=log_a(a^x)=x[/tex]

Edit: Dick was faster!

sutupidmath said:
well, by definition of log we have

[tex]log_a(x)=b<=> a^b=x[/tex]

Now let's substitute [tex] b=log_a(x)[/tex] in
[tex]a^b=x[/tex] So:

[tex]a^{log_a(x)}=x[/tex]

Or, since [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=log_ax[/tex] are inverse functions, so it means that they cancel each other out. That is

[tex]fg(x)=f(g(x))=x=>a^{log_ax}=x[/tex] and also

[tex] g(f(x))=log_a(a^x)=x[/tex]

Edit: Dick was faster!

You are slow because you write more. Doesn't mean you think slower. I appreciate the TeX though.

Last edited:
Oh I see now! Thanks so much for your help Dick and sutupidmath!

What are log laws and why are they important?

Log laws are mathematical rules and formulas used to manipulate logarithmic expressions and equations. They are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complex equations involving logarithms, which are commonly used in many fields of science and mathematics.

What are the basic log laws?

The basic log laws are the product law, quotient law, power law, and change of base law. The product law states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient law states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power law states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the base. The change of base law states that the logarithm of a number in one base can be rewritten as the logarithm of the same number in a different base.

What is the purpose of using logarithms and log laws?

Logarithms and log laws are used to solve equations involving exponential growth or decay, as well as to convert numbers from one scale to another. They are also used in data analysis and in many scientific calculations, such as pH levels and earthquake magnitudes.

What are some common mistakes when using log laws?

Some common mistakes when using log laws are forgetting to apply the correct law, making errors in simplifying expressions, and not properly checking for extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Can log laws be applied to any base?

Yes, log laws can be applied to logarithms with any base. However, it is common to use base 10 or base e (natural logarithm) in scientific calculations.