What Type of Engineer is Right for Me?

In summary: Others evaluate existing structures for safety or condition and need to be on-site to do so. Still others do design work that requires visiting sites for various reasons. In summary, the conversation is about someone considering a career in engineering and wanting advice on which field would be the best fit for their interests and skills. Suggestions are given for civil, chemical, mechanical, and petroleum engineering, with a focus on hands-on work and job opportunities in the field. It is also mentioned that civil engineering involves a lot of on-site work and is less likely to be outsourced.
guitardude721
I am considering foing into the engineering field, but I am not sure which type.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life in front of a computer, I enjoy hands on work, being in the field, meeting new people, conceptual stuff, ect.

From that, can anyone suggest which engineering field would be right for me? Thanks!

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
How about civil? You spend a lot of time in fields and it is by far the most difficult to outsource.

Why is civil the most difficult to outsource?

He's probably referring to infrastructure projects that are sensitive for defense reasons. I guess?

Chemical engineer is probably an outdoorsjob if you take process-engineering as your major.

Maybe mechanical or petroleum engineering... you can get jobs really easily in the oil industry where you work out in the field on oil rigs, work on oilfield technology design, and so on... Typically mechanical and petroleum engineering tend to be fairly "hands on", but it just depends on what kind of job you get into. Obviously if you are interested in engineering, you like the idea of problem solving, design, math and science, etc., and you can definitely find opportunities for this in mechanical or petroleum fields.

Or at a plant that makes wood pulp? Chemical engineers design, construct and operate plants. This means that they don't always sit a desk or a computer, only that they can. Often they go around the plant and look at certain processes and find ways to optimize.

Asphodel said:
He's probably referring to infrastructure projects that are sensitive for defense reasons. I guess?

No. A significant portion of civil engineers - though certainly not all - do work that requires their ability to be on-site. Many oversee construction or need direct access to the construction area.

What type of engineer is right for me?

This is a common question that many people have when considering a career in engineering. There are several factors to consider when determining which type of engineering is the best fit for you.

What are the different types of engineering?

There are several different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and has its own set of skills and responsibilities.

How do I decide which type of engineering to pursue?

When deciding which type of engineering is right for you, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research the different types of engineering to get a better understanding of what each one involves and which aligns best with your skills and passions.

What skills are needed for different types of engineering?

The skills needed for different types of engineering will vary depending on the specific field. However, some common skills that are important for engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and attention to detail.

What are some potential job opportunities for different types of engineering?

Each type of engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities. For example, mechanical engineers may work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, or manufacturing, while electrical engineers may work in areas like power generation or telecommunications. It's important to research the job market for each type of engineering to determine which field offers the most opportunities for your career goals.