Understanding Gas Laws: Boyle's, Charles', and the Conceptual 'What If' Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in ideal gases according to Boyle's Law and Charles' Law. However, these laws only hold true under specific conditions and cannot be applied to changes in multiple variables. The more accurate equations for ideal gases are the ideal gas law and the relationship between energy and temperature.
pibomb
This is an absurd question, but the answer is beyond me:

According to Boyle's Law, we get the relationship: P=k/V (k=constant)
According to Charles' Law, we get: V/T=k
And, P/T=k

My question is rather an conceptual "what if": if we increase, say, the volume of the an ideal gas, it's pressure would go down. Yet, an increase in volume should lead to an increase in temperature, and this an increase in pressure. This can't be right, and though I know I'm missing something fundamental, I can't figure out what that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is you are considering two different conditions; one at V1 and another at V2.

Charles law for two conditions is V1/T1=V2/T2 and P1/T1=P2/T2.

Hope this helps.

Oh I see, thanks.

This is not an absurd question at all. But here is the problem: Boyle's and Charles' Laws are simplifications of a more complex relationship for ideal gases. To stay simple, each Law needs to assume that all other variables are constant. For example, P=k/V assumes constant temperature, V/T=k assumes constant pressure, and P/T=k assumes constant volume. This is why your thought experiment didn't work.

So if you want to work with changes in multiple variables (which is usually the case in real systems), you need the more general equations

[tex]pV=nRT\quad\quad U=cRT[/tex]

the first of which is the ideal gas law and the second is the relationship between energy and temperature for an ideal gas.

1. What are the three simple gas laws?

The three simple gas laws are Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. Charles's law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Gay-Lussac's law states that at a constant volume, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a gas using Boyle's law?

To calculate the volume of a gas using Boyle's law, you can use the formula V₁P₁ = V₂P₂, where V₁ and P₁ are the initial volume and pressure, and V₂ and P₂ are the final volume and pressure. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa, as long as temperature remains constant.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law is a combination of all three simple gas laws and is represented by the formula PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation is used to calculate the properties of an ideal gas, such as its volume, pressure, and temperature, under different conditions.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and volume in Charles's law?

In Charles's law, the relationship between temperature and volume is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, volume also increases, and as temperature decreases, volume decreases, as long as pressure remains constant.

5. How is Gay-Lussac's law used in real-life applications?

Gay-Lussac's law is used in real-life applications, such as in the production of aerosol cans. The gas in these cans is at a constant volume, but as the temperature increases, the pressure also increases, causing the gas to expand and push out the product. This is also used in the production of airbags in cars, where the gas is rapidly heated to expand and inflate the airbag in case of an accident.