The Multiple Launch Rocket System and Rocket Noises

In summary, the conversation discusses a YouTube video of the American MLRS system being used in Operation Desert Storm in 1991. The speaker asks about a pipe organ-like sound heard in the video and speculates that it may be caused by exhaust gasses rushing through the pipes of the rocket launchers.
bitrex
Hello folks!

I was just watching a YouTube clip of the American MLRS system being used during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. I'm afraid I can't post a direct link to the video because of the 15 posts requirement, but if one does a search for "MLRS" it is the first video in the results.

My question is, at around 2 seconds into the video, and again at about 38 seconds, one can hear a pipe organ type sound (similar to the sound made by Soviet "Stalin's Organs" rocket launchers during WW2). I'm wondering what phenomena is responsible for this noise; my best guess is that as the rocket leaves the barrel it is leaving an area of low pressure either in the launcher barrel or in air as the rocket travels, which is then vibrating like a resonant chamber. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't get the video to play, but I would bet that the sound you describe is the result of exhaust gasses from the rockets, rushing back through the pipes from which the rockets were launched. This is roughly the same mechanism by which pipe-organs generate sound; gasses rushing through a pipe.

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your observation about the MLRS system and the unique rocket noises that can be heard in the video. It's always interesting to learn about the technology and science behind military equipment and their operations.

To answer your question, the sound you hear is most likely caused by the rocket's exhaust gases interacting with the surrounding air. When a rocket is launched, it creates a shockwave as it breaks the sound barrier, which can produce a loud noise. In addition, the exhaust gases from the rocket's engine can also create a noise, especially if they are released at a high velocity. This is similar to the noise produced by a jet engine.

Furthermore, the design of the MLRS system, with its multiple rocket launch tubes, can also contribute to the unique noise. As each rocket is launched, the sound waves from the exhaust gases can interact and amplify each other, creating a "pipe organ" effect.

Overall, the combination of the rocket's supersonic speed, exhaust gases, and the design of the MLRS system all contribute to the distinctive noises you hear in the video. I hope this helps to answer your question and satisfy your curiosity about the MLRS system and its rocket noises. Thank you for your interest and for sharing your thoughts!

What is the Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS)?

The Multiple Launch Rocket System is a mobile rocket artillery system used by the military to deliver a large number of rockets quickly and accurately to a designated target. It is capable of launching both guided and unguided rockets.

How does the MLRS work?

The MLRS is composed of a launcher vehicle, a fire control system, and a reloading vehicle. The launcher vehicle carries a pod of rockets and can fire up to 12 rockets in less than a minute. The fire control system calculates the launch coordinates and guides the rockets to the target. The reloading vehicle then replenishes the launcher with new rockets.

What is the range of the MLRS?

The range of the MLRS depends on the type of rockets it is equipped with. The maximum range for unguided rockets is approximately 32 kilometers, while guided rockets can reach up to 70 kilometers. However, the accuracy of the rockets decreases as the range increases.

How loud are rocket noises?

The loudness of rocket noises can vary depending on the type and size of the rocket, as well as the distance from the launch site. On average, rocket noises can range from 140-180 decibels, which is equivalent to a jet engine or a gunshot. It is important to wear proper hearing protection when exposed to rocket noises.

What are some potential health effects of rocket noises?

Exposure to loud rocket noises can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss, tinnitus, and other auditory problems. It can also lead to physical and psychological stress, as well as disrupt sleep and communication. Proper safety measures and protective equipment should always be used when working with or near the MLRS.