Torque calculation, torque calculation over some axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a machine that rotates a large cylinder and the necessary torque and force needed for proper functioning. It also includes a drawing and a request for assistance in choosing the right engine. A mistake is noted and corrected in the calculation of torque.
papermate

Homework Statement

Actually this is not a homework or course question, but I think it’s quite simple. So maybe it’s suited to post it here.

I’m designing a machine that rotates a big object round its own axis. The object has a diameter of 2,7 meter and needs a torque of a least 105Nm to meet the demand of the angular acceleration. The big object is a cylinder. This cylinder is supported by two axis with a diameter of 0,3 meter. The big cylinder is driven by those to axis by means of friction.

I’ve calculated the force that is necessary on the outside of the big cylinder to give it the required torque. This total force is according me equal to 78N. (105Nm/1,35m=78N)

The total force that the two axis supply to the big cylinder should be at least these 78N. So each axis should supply 78N/2axis=39N to the big cylinder.

The torque that the axis should have; T= F*r = 39N * 0,3m = 11.7 Nm.

These two axis are driven by one electric engine. The outgoing axis of the electric engine goes to a reducer with an unknown ratio. This axis first goes to a 3-way gearbox with a ratio of 1:1. One outgoing axis is directly fixed on an axis that drives the cylinder. The other axis of the 3 way gearbox goes into a 2-way gearbox with ratio 1:1. The outgoing axis of the 2 way gearbox drives the other axis.

Homework Equations

My “inquiry form”;

- Is the calculation of the torques correct? I’m not sure but I think they are ok.
- The torque that is marked with pink, in the drawing below, is this correct? Or needs this axis a torque of 23,4Nm (23,4 = Torque axis one + Torque axis two = 11,7 + 11,7)
- If I can be ‘sure’ that my calculations are right I can go on looking for an engine with reducer. Has anyone some advice where to pay extra attention on by choosing the right one?

If you have some notes, remarks, solutions, or questions, please react!

All assistant is more than welcome ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

Please check the part above and the drawing

Attachments

• xxx.JPG
    xxx.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
papermate: (1) Your calculation of torque T2 = 11,7 N*m is correct. (2) Torque T marked in pink at the bottom of your diagram, between the reducer box and the three-way gearbox, needs to be T = 23,4 N*m, not 11,7. (3) I don't have comments regarding the engine.

nvn: thank you for your post.

I see and understand my mistake...

Thank you

1. What is torque and why is it important in calculations?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is important in calculations because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and is necessary for determining the stability and strength of structures and machines.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (N·m), but it can also be expressed in other units such as pound-feet (lb·ft) or dyne-centimeters (dyn·cm).

4. How does the axis of rotation affect torque calculations?

The axis of rotation is the point around which an object rotates. The distance between the force and the axis of rotation determines the amount of torque, so changing the axis of rotation can significantly affect the torque calculation.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative if the direction of the force and the direction of rotation are opposite. This means that the force is trying to rotate the object in the opposite direction of its current rotation. Negative torque can also occur if the distance between the force and the axis of rotation is negative.