I with a distance problem involving constant acceleration

In summary, the train accelerates at a constant rate for 7 seconds, reaching a velocity of 115 kilometers per hour east. At t = 3.5 seconds, the acceleration is 16.4 km/hr/sec. In the first 3.5 seconds, the train travels 27.5 meters and in the second 3.5 seconds, it travels 43.31 meters. The equations used were Vf = Vo + at for determining velocity, and x = vt + 1/2at^2 for finding distance.
science_rules

Homework Statement

A train starts at a railway station and accelerates, at a constant rate, for 7 seconds, to a velocity of 115 kilometers per hour east. Set t = 0 at the instant the train starts to accelerate.

a) determine the acceleration of the train (in km/hr/sec.) at t = 3.5 sec.
b) determine the distance, in meters, the train travels during the first 3.5 seconds of the acceleration period.
c) determine the distance, in meters, the train travels during the second 3.5 seconds of the acceleration period.

Homework Equations

To find the acceleration at t = 3.5 sec., I write: accel. = change in veloc. divided by change in time = 115 km/hr. - 0 km/hr.
_____________________ = 115 km/hr.
7 sec. - 0 s __________ = 16.4 km/hr/sec. constant
7 sec.

Then, to determine distance traveled in the first 3.5 seconds, i use the equation:
x = initial x + initial veloc. X time + 1/2 accel. X time squared

x = 0m + 0m/squ X 3.5 sec. + 1/2 X 4.5 m/sec squared X (3.5 sec.) squared

4.5 m is from converting the 16.4 km/hr/sec to meters.

I think I use the same equation to find the distance the train travels in the second 3.5 seconds.

Im confused about which numbers to use in the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
oops i messed up on the top part there. i meant to write:
acceler. = 115 km/hr/sec. divided by 7 seconds = 16.4 km/hr/sec. constant

1 a.
Since this is constant acceleration, just use
(Vf - Vo)/(7)

1 b. Use equation:
x = vt + 1/2at^2
x = (0)(3.5) + 0.5(a)(3.5)^2

1 c. Find velocity at 3.5 seconds use acceleration, Vo = 0, and t = 3.5
and equation: vf = vo + at.
And then use that as initial velocity, and repeat 1b.

thanks for your help :)

oh, i have one more quick question-do i need to use the distance calculated from the first 3.5 sec, and plug that into the initial position of the equation for the second 3 seconds? hope that's clear enough.

second *3.5 seconds

i got 15.75 m for initial velocity and plugged that into x = x initial + veloc. initial X 3.5s X 1/2 (4.5 m/s/s) (3.5)^2
i got 27. 5 meters for the distance of the first 3.5 seconds, but when i try to calculate for the second 3.5 seconds, it seems way too much 82.6 m-maybe because i shoulnt plug in 27.5m for the inital position the second time. it remains at 0? i just don't know.

yes don't sub, the question asks what is the distance from 3.5s.
So initial = 0.

so, in that case, i think this would be right:
the distance for the first 3.5 seconds would be
x = x initial + (v initial X 3.5 s) + 1/2 a (t)^2
= 0 m + (0 m/s X 3.5s) + 1/2 (4.5m/s/s)(3.5s)^2 = 27.5 m

the distance for the second 3.5 seconds is:

x = x initial + (v initial X 3.5 s) + 1/2 a (t)^2
= 0m + (4.5m/s/s X 3.5 s) + 1/2 X 4.5 m/s/s X (3.5s)^2
= 43.31 m

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, and remains constant throughout the object's motion. It is typically denoted by the variable a and has units of meters per second squared (m/s2).

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. It can also be calculated using the formula a = vf - vi/tf - ti, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

3. How is distance calculated with constant acceleration?

Distance can be calculated using the formula d = vit + 1/2at2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. This formula applies when the initial velocity is known and the acceleration is constant.

4. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to a situation where the acceleration remains constant throughout an object's motion, while uniform acceleration refers to a situation where the acceleration is constant and the object's velocity changes by equal amounts in equal time intervals. In other words, constant acceleration is a specific type of uniform acceleration where the object's velocity changes at a constant rate.

5. How does constant acceleration affect an object's motion?

Constant acceleration affects an object's motion by causing it to change its velocity at a constant rate. This results in a linear change in position over time, known as uniform motion. The direction of the object's motion is determined by the direction of its acceleration, and the magnitude of its acceleration determines how quickly the object's velocity changes.