Proving angular momentum is conserved

Therefore, we have shown that {H, L} = 0, which means that the Hamiltonian and angular momentum commute and are therefore conserved quantities. Since the value of a does not affect our derivation, we have proven that the ball's angular momentum is conserved for any value of a. This concludes our proof.In summary, we have used Poisson brackets to show that the angular momentum of a ball moving in a two-dimensional billiard with circular barriers is conserved. This result is independent of the value of a and is due to the boundary conditions of
ppyadof

Homework Statement

A ball moves in a two-dimensional billiard comprising a horizontal frictionless table enclosed by two circular barriers of radii 2m and 1m and centred, respectively, at (x, y)=(0, 0) and (x, y)=(a, 0), where a<0.5m. The ball undergoes specular reflection at each barrier. Prove that the ball's angular momentum is conserved when a=0.

Homework Equations

Poisson brackets

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to bring poisson brackets into this, since it basically comes down to showing constants of motion, although I don't know what I need to use poisson brackets on. I think that I need to consider [itex]L^2[/itex] and the hamiltonian of the system, but I'm not entirely sure how to build the boundary conditions (e.g. specular reflection off the boundary walls) into the hamiltonian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your question. It is a very interesting problem and I am happy to assist you in finding a solution. You are correct in thinking that Poisson brackets will be useful in proving the conservation of angular momentum. To start, let's define the Hamiltonian of the system as H = T + V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy. In this case, we can consider the ball as a point mass, so its kinetic energy can be written as T = (1/2)m(vx^2 + vy^2), where m is the mass of the ball and vx and vy are the velocities in the x and y directions, respectively. The potential energy is simply the potential due to the circular barriers, which can be written as V = (1/2)k(r1^2 + r2^2), where k is the spring constant and r1 and r2 are the distances from the ball to the two barriers, respectively.

Now, let's consider the Poisson brackets of the Hamiltonian with the angular momentum L = mr^2ω, where r is the distance from the ball to the origin and ω is the angular velocity. We have:

{H, L} = {T, L} + {V, L} = {T, mr^2ω} + {V, mr^2ω}

Since the potential energy does not depend on ω, the second term on the right hand side is zero. For the first term, we can use the chain rule to expand the Poisson bracket:

{T, mr^2ω} = m{vx^2 + vy^2, mr^2ω} = mω{vx^2 + vy^2, r^2} = 2mω(rvxvy - ryvx)

Now, we need to use the boundary conditions to simplify this expression. Since the ball undergoes specular reflection at each barrier, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the x and y components of the velocity will be reversed when they hit the barriers. Therefore, we can write:

vx = -vx' and vy = -vy'

where vx' and vy' are the velocities after reflection. Substituting this into our expression, we get:

{T, mr^2ω} = -2mω(rvx'vy' + ryvx')

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. Why is it important to prove that angular momentum is conserved?

Proving that angular momentum is conserved is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the laws of motion and energy conservation. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of rotational motion in various systems.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if there are changes in the distribution of mass or angular velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum conservation?

One common example of angular momentum conservation is the spinning of a top. As long as there is no external force acting on the top, its angular momentum will remain constant. Another example is the rotation of planets around the sun, which is governed by the conservation of angular momentum.

5. How can we prove that angular momentum is conserved?

There are various experimental methods to prove that angular momentum is conserved, such as using a spinning disk or a rotating bicycle wheel. These experiments demonstrate that when the system is left undisturbed, the angular momentum remains constant.