A Couple of Probability & Statistics Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a table with a data set and two variables, as well as an equation involving summations and unknown variables. The question asks for clarification on the meaning of the summations and subscripts. The conversation also includes a question about a business decision and the probability of occurrence for a fifth scenario.
havinnoj

Homework Statement

I have a table with a data set #, and 2 variables (W and P) with values in the table.

Homework Equations

The equation (which I don't know what it means) says V= (summation with n on top and i=1 below Wi X Pi)/(summation with n on top and i=1 on bottom X Pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

What are the summations meaning and what do the subscript "i"'s mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions 2 is "You are reviewing a business decision where you have calculated the profit for 5 possible business scenarios. If the probabilities of occurrence for four of the scenarios are 12%, 10%, 21%, and 30% respectively; what is the percent probability of occurence for the fifth scenario.

Does this question even make sense?

havinnoj said:
Questions 2 is "You are reviewing a business decision where you have calculated the profit for 5 possible business scenarios. If the probabilities of occurrence for four of the scenarios are 12%, 10%, 21%, and 30% respectively; what is the percent probability of occurence for the fifth scenario.
Does this question even make sense?

I read that as "there are exactly 5 possible scenarios". In a valid probability-model, what do you know about the sum of all possible probabilities?

k

kenewbie said:
I read that as "there are exactly 5 possible scenarios". In a valid probability-model, what do you know about the sum of all possible probabilities?

k

27%. I love when they are easier than you think! Thank you!

Anybody have an idea about the first one?

havinnoj said:

Homework Statement

I have a table with a data set #, and 2 variables (W and P) with values in the table.

Homework Equations

The equation (which I don't know what it means) says V= (summation with n on top and i=1 below Wi X Pi)/(summation with n on top and i=1 on bottom X Pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

What are the summations meaning and what do the subscript "i"'s mean?

What is X? Should that just be Pi?

Anyway, the top summation means that you are starting from the "i=1" data point (i.e. the first W and P), multiplying W and P, then doing the same for the second data points (i=2) all the way up to the n'th W and P, and then adding them all up.

In general,

[tex]\sum _{i=a} ^{n} f(i) = f(a) + f(a+1) + f(a+2) + ... + f(n) [/tex]

So it just means that you start with i=a, and plug it into the function f(i). Then continuously increase 'i' by integer steps until you get to i=n, each time plugging it into the function f(i). Then simply add each f(i) that you calculated along the way.

So in your cases:

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{n} W_i P_i = W_1P_1+W_2P_2+...+W_nP_n [/tex]

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{n} P_i = P_1+P_2+...+P_n [/tex]

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you!

1. What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring, while statistics is the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to make predictions or draw conclusions about a population.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to find the probability of rolling a 6 on a standard die, it would be 1 desired outcome (rolling a 6) divided by 6 possible outcomes (rolling any number from 1-6), which equals 1/6 or approximately 0.167.

3. What is the difference between a sample and a population in statistics?

A sample is a smaller subset of a population that is used to make inferences or predictions about the larger population. The population is the entire group that is being studied.

4. What is the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that when independent random variables are added together, their sum tends to follow a normal distribution, regardless of the distribution of the individual variables. This allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample.

5. Can you explain the concept of hypothesis testing?

Hypothesis testing is a statistical method used to determine if a hypothesis (or claim) about a population is supported by the data. It involves setting up a null hypothesis (H0) and an alternative hypothesis (Ha), collecting data, and using statistical tests to determine the likelihood of the data supporting H0. If the p-value (probability value) is low, we reject H0 and accept Ha, indicating that there is evidence to support the claim. If the p-value is high, we fail to reject H0, meaning that there is not enough evidence to support the claim.