How should I cite my self-translated work in my research paper?

In summary, this passage from Négib Azoury's book "La Révolution arabe" quotes a few early Arab nationalist leaders who criticized Zionism, among them Azoury. Azoury himself is anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic, and his views are evident throughout the book.
uman
Hi all, I'm writing my IB extended essay in history (the IB is an international high school curriculum; I'm a senior in high school). I know normally for a work in translation you are supposed to credit both the author and the translator, but one of the works I translated myself (I can read French...) I feel somehow dishonest in claiming that the words are originally those of the author when I wrote them (granted, translating directly from the author's original sentences). How should I note this in my paper? Or is simply citing the original work and leaving it at that acceptable?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, I am directly quoting the French-language book in the body of my paper, not simply using information from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you read the material, it is as if you read it in English, I would assume.

Also, you did not create the idea that those words convey, so you must cite the source. Even if you completely re-word (without changing the overall meaning) a quote, you still are required to state that it is in fact a quotation from someone else. It can be called a paraphrase (or an indirect quotation).

descendency said:
Since you read the material, it is as if you read it in English, I would assume.

Also, you did not create the idea that those words convey, so you must cite the source. Even if you completely re-word (without changing the overall meaning) a quote, you still are required to state that it is in fact a quotation from someone else. It can be called a paraphrase (or an indirect quotation).

I understand, but my intention is to quote directly and state that those are the words of the author...

To clarify, here is the passage as it stands:

a few early Arab nationalist leaders spoke out against the Zionist enterprise, among them Négib Azoury, who as early as contrasted the emergence of the Arab movement with “the Jews’ latent effort to reconstitute on a very large scale the old monarchy of Israel.” According to Azoury, “these two movements are destined to do battle continually, until one of them beats the other” (Azoury, p. vi)

And

Azoury’s anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism is evident throughout the book; he goes on to claim that “there are [foreign representatives] in Jerusalem and Beirut whose most pressing duty should be to counteract the Israelite activity in Palestine, and who, although they are in their hearts opposed to the goal towards which the Jews are working, defend Zionist interests and promote Zionist progress, because they let the Jews deceive them and do not realize how imminent the danger is.” (Azoury pp. 46-47)

The point of citation is to give credit to the correct people for their thoughts. It's for when you are not an expert, you give credit to the experts. Since you are an expert (or at least for the moment) in French and it is your paper, I would think you would be able to just simply quote your source.

I don't see a need for an elaborate citation. You should probably ask a grammar/English teacher about this, though.

The paper is due on Tuesday and we don't have school on Monday. I think I can get an extension if I happen to need to fix minor issues with the bibliography. So, that said, I'll ask the librarian at my school just to be sure. (He should know this sort of thing).

Thanks for the advice; what you said makes perfect sense.

I would check The Chicago Manual of Style, available in any decent library. It will explain exactly how to properly cite this, including translation.

There's all sorts of citation styles. In academia, the particular style depends on the journal you're submitting the work to. The way I would typically cite something like this is to do the citation as if it were in english and then in brackets add "translated from French."

1. What is a citation in a research paper?

A citation in a research paper is a reference to a source that has been used in the paper. It provides the necessary information for readers to locate and further explore the source.

2. Why is citation important in a research paper?

Citation is important in a research paper because it gives credit to the original authors and acknowledges their work. It also allows readers to verify the information and ideas presented in the paper.

3. How do you format citations in a research paper?

The format of citations depends on the citation style being used, such as MLA, APA, or Chicago. Generally, citations include the author's name, title of the source, publication date, and page numbers. It is important to follow the specific guidelines of the chosen citation style.

4. What is the difference between in-text citations and a works cited page?

In-text citations are brief references within the text of a research paper that direct readers to the full citation in the works cited page. The works cited page is a separate page at the end of the paper that lists all the sources cited in the paper.

5. Can citations be used for sources other than books and articles?

Yes, citations can be used for a variety of sources, such as websites, videos, images, and interviews. The format of the citation may vary depending on the type of source, but the same basic information (author, title, date, etc.) should be included.