An aspirin a day to help prevent heart attack and stroke

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, the experts recommend that adults aged 45 to 79 with heart risk factors take aspirin if the preventive benefits outweigh the risk of bleeding. At-risk women aged 55 to 79 should take aspirin if the odds of reducing a first ischemic stroke outweigh the chance of bleeding. Men under the age of 45 and women under 55 who have never had a heart attack or stroke should not take aspirin for prevention. At this time, it isn't clear whether patients aged 80 and older should take aspirin.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
..The recommendations, published in the March 17 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, state:

Men aged 45 to 79 with heart risk factors should take aspirin if the preventive benefits outweigh the risk of bleeding.

At-risk women aged 55 to 79 should take aspirin if the odds of reducing a first ischemic stroke outweigh the chance of bleeding.

Men under the age of 45 and women under 55 who have never had a heart attack or stroke should not take aspirin for prevention.

At this time, it isn't clear whether patients aged 80 and older should take aspirin.

The task force emphasized that the recommendations only apply to people who have never had a heart attack or stroke.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...s-revise-guidelines-on-daily-aspirin-for.html

According to one report, most experts think that a baby aspirin will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Well, I hope so, since I've been taking a baby aspirin a day for the last six months.

From what I understand from the CNN report, what makes this different is that almost by default, everyone between certain ages should take an aspirin a day provided that other risks don't exist. This, as opposed to saying that only those at risk of heart problems or stroke should take one. Who doesn't have at least one heart risk factor?

Funny, now days "baby aspirin" is for adult use only, due to Reyes Syndrome.

I've always loved the taste of baby aspirin. If they made candy that tasted just like it, I'd be hooked. Dang, now that I've thought about it, I'm going to have to go out and buy some baby aspirin. :biggrin:

My parents have been taking a baby asprin a day for quite some time - maybe even a decade.

I don't want to sound bad nor anything but I recall clearly that I read (I can't say where exactly) about less than a year ago that only one third of a baby aspirin would help to prevent heart attacks but more than that wouldn't have the same effects.

1. How does aspirin help prevent heart attack and stroke?

Aspirin is a type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that works by reducing the production of certain substances in the body that cause inflammation and blood clotting. These substances, called prostaglandins, can contribute to the formation of blood clots in the arteries, which can lead to heart attack or stroke. By inhibiting their production, aspirin can help prevent these serious cardiovascular events.

2. Who should take aspirin as a preventive measure?

Aspirin may be recommended for individuals who have a high risk of developing heart disease or have had a previous heart attack or stroke. This includes people with a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes. It is important to consult with a doctor before starting aspirin therapy, as it may not be appropriate for everyone.

3. What is the recommended dosage for aspirin as a preventive measure?

The recommended dosage of aspirin for preventing heart attack and stroke is typically 81 mg per day. This is a lower dose than what is typically used for pain relief. It is important to follow the dosage instructions provided by a doctor or on the label of the aspirin bottle.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of taking aspirin daily?

While aspirin can be an effective preventive measure for heart attack and stroke, it is not without risks. Taking aspirin daily can increase the risk of bleeding, particularly in the stomach and intestines. It is important to discuss any potential risks with a doctor before starting aspirin therapy.

5. Can aspirin be used as a replacement for other heart medications?

No, aspirin should not be used as a replacement for other heart medications. It is typically used in conjunction with other treatments, such as blood pressure or cholesterol medications, to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. It is important to continue taking any prescribed medications and to consult with a doctor before making any changes to your treatment plan.