Understanding Purcell's Cube: Attraction to Mass Center?

In summary, Purcell states in the Spanish second edition of "Electricity and Magnetism" that a cube with a constant density does not attract external bodies as if its mass was concentrated in its geometrical center. However, it is unclear how such a cube attracts other bodies. The comment from Purcell challenges the intuition that a person would be most attracted to a vertex of the cube if they are closest to it. It is also mentioned that a point mass and a sphere have spherically symmetric gravitational fields, unlike a cube. For further understanding, a thread discussing Newton's law of gravitation is recommended.
fluidistic
Gold Member
In the Spanish second edition of "Electricity and Magnetism", Berkeley Physics Course, volume II, page 27, Purcell states that a cube with a perfectly constant density does not attract external bodies as if its mass was concentrated in its geometrical center.
However he does not say how does such a cube attract other bodies...

The only thing my intuition tells me is that if I am in front of a cube in such a way that I'm closer to a vertex than any other, I will be more attracted by the vertex than any other part of the cube. However I'm not sure it implies that I'm not attracted by the center of mass of the cube.
The comment from Purcell blows up my intuition.

Can you help me to understand, please?

Physics news on Phys.org

A point mass has a gravitational field that is spherically symmetric.

A sphere also has a gravitational field that is spherically symmetric. So if you're outside the sphere and examining the gravitational field, you wouldn't be able to tell if it is the field of a sphere or a point mass.

A cube's gravitational field is not spherically symmetric does not. So if you're outside the cube and examining the gravitational field, you'll be able to tell that it isn't the gravitational field of a point mass.

Thanks a lot to both!

1. What is Purcell's Cube?

Purcell's Cube is a theoretical concept in physics that describes the way objects are attracted to the center of mass of a larger object. It is named after the physicist Edward Mills Purcell, who first proposed the concept in the 1940s.

2. How does Purcell's Cube work?

Purcell's Cube is based on the principle of gravity, which states that all objects with mass are attracted to each other. In the case of Purcell's Cube, the smaller object is attracted to the center of mass of the larger object, rather than being pulled towards it by a specific point on the surface. This is because the force of gravity acts equally in all directions towards the center of mass.

3. What is the significance of Purcell's Cube?

Purcell's Cube helps us understand the behavior of objects in space, where the force of gravity is the dominant force. It also helps us understand how objects move and orbit around each other, as well as how objects fall towards the Earth's surface.

4. How is Purcell's Cube different from other theories of gravity?

Purcell's Cube is a simplified version of the theory of gravity, known as the inverse square law. While the inverse square law takes into account the distance between two objects, Purcell's Cube assumes that the smaller object is always located at the center of mass of the larger object.

5. Can Purcell's Cube be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Purcell's Cube can be applied to real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of satellites orbiting the Earth or understanding the motion of planets in our solar system. It is also used in engineering and physics to design and build structures that can withstand the force of gravity.