Solving Circuit Problems with Permanent Rules: Charges, Currents & More

In summary, the current through the 1 ohm resistance in (b) is zero once the steady state is reached.
libelec
I have these two circuits with permanent rule:
a)
2s9ai2s.jpg

b)
5mgxmr.jpg

I'm asked to find:
For a): the charges of each capacitor (C = 1 [tex]\mu[/tex]F)and the currents in each resistance.

For b): the currents in each branch with the L switch on and off, the difference of potential between A and C, A and B and C and B with the L switch on and off. The power given by the battery with L on and off and finally the charge of the capacitor with the switch on

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my problem: I believe that, after a capacitor is charged, current doesn't flow through the branch that it's in, since after it's charged, it adquires the diference of potential of the battery (between its plaques) and therefore current shouldn't flow there. Is this correct?

Now, in each problem I have questions:

For a): Does each capacitor have the same difference of potential between its plaques, that of the battery (0,5V)? Is it OK to say that current isn't flowing through the 1 ohm resistance because it's connected to a branch that has a capacitor in it, and then current wouldn't be able to "escape" there?

For b): If the switch is off, is the equivalent circuit that square formed by the battery, the 50 ohm resistance and the 100 ohm resistance? Or does current somehow pass through the capacitor's branch (this relates to my original question).

Then, when the switch is on, should I consider each subdivision created by the diagonal branch in the second "square" for the Kirchhoff's Circuits Rule, or should I assume there's no current going through that branch (because the capacitor is charged?) and therefore I consider the whole square as the circuit?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your thinking is right in every respect, except that remark about the potential being 0.5 V across each capacitor in (a): the two C's in series will each get half the 0.5 V, and the third one at upper left gets no voltage at all because of your argument that there is effectively infinite resistance across the charged capacitors, isolating that 3rd one from the negative end of the battery.

Yes in (b), you have infinite resistance in the diagonal loop so you can ignore it.

Ohhh... you're right, the 3rd one has no way to get to the negative terminal.

Well, thank your very much. I was worried I was making every calculation wrong because of a false assumption.

I tried to go back to a), to see what you meant with that the capacitor in the upper left gets no voltage because the infinite resistance of the other two.

If that was true, shouldn't the capacitor to its right also not get any voltage, because of the infinite resistance of the third capacitor? Why is that one the one that gets no voltage?

Did anybody understand what I meant?

The reason that the top left capacitor gets no voltage, is because it is in parallel with an 1 ohm resistance, and the current through this resistance is zero, so the voltage across it is also 0.
(ohms law)
No current can flow through the resistance, because one end of it is only connected to 2 capacitors and no current can flow through a capacitor after the steady state is reached.

What I mean is that the current through the resistance couldn't have been zero all along: otherwise, the other 2 capacitors couldn't have been charged at all, since there would be no way to connect the second capacitor with the positive terminal?

I mean, if we consider that at the beginning the capacitors were uncharged, then there's current flowing through the capacitor in the upper left corner, right?

That's a good point, libelec. But after the two Cs in series charge up to the full 0.5 V, it is as if that branch no longer exists (infinite resistance) and then the 1 ohm resistor will drain away the current in the upper right C. It would be interesting to calculate its charge as a function of time, but it is definitely zero once the steady state is reached.

1. What are the permanent rules for solving circuit problems?

The permanent rules for solving circuit problems include Kirchhoff's Laws, Ohm's Law, and the conservation of energy and charge. Kirchhoff's Laws state that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources. Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. The conservation of energy and charge states that energy and charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Laws to solve circuit problems?

To apply Kirchhoff's Laws, you must first identify all the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's Current Law to set up equations for the currents at each node and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to set up equations for the voltage drops in each closed loop. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the values of the currents and voltages in the circuit.

3. Can I use Ohm's Law to solve any circuit problem?

Ohm's Law can be used to solve circuit problems that involve resistors and voltage sources. It may not be applicable to circuits with more complex components, such as capacitors or inductors. In these cases, other laws and principles must be used in conjunction with Ohm's Law to solve the circuit.

4. How does the conservation of energy and charge factor into solving circuit problems?

The conservation of energy and charge is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It ensures that energy and charge are conserved throughout the circuit, and can be used to check the accuracy of the solutions obtained using Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law. If the values of currents and voltages obtained violate this principle, it is an indication that there may be a mistake in the analysis or calculation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving circuit problems?

While there may be some shortcuts or tricks for solving specific types of circuit problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and laws involved in circuit analysis. These shortcuts may not always apply and can lead to errors if relied upon too heavily. It is best to approach each circuit problem systematically and thoroughly to ensure accurate solutions.