Help, I've fallen for an astrophysicst

• Thread starter Klute
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a young woman's feelings for an astrophysicist she met through her local astronomical society. She worries that he may not be satisfied with a partner who does not fully understand his work, but others reassure her that a relationship is about celebrating differences and she should not let self-doubt get in the way of pursuing a potential romance. Ultimately, she is advised to ask him out and not worry about their different interests.
Evo said:
That has to be the worst advice I've ever seen
OMG And you just had that procedure. God help him/her.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
OMG And you just had that procedure. God help him/her.
Which procedure? Sex with 12 guys?

Now you're in trouble too turbo.

dlgoff said:
Now you're in trouble too turbo.
Pretty much a given, dlg.

turbo-1 said:
Which procedure? Sex with 12 guys?

At the same time?

Welcome to PhysicsForums.com!

Evo said:

I hope you realize a lot of your genders do those IOI. So you're calling your gender dumb >_>

kramer733 said:
I hope you realize a lot of your genders do those IOI. So you're calling your gender dumb >_>
A lot of people pray before exams in addition to studying.

You are telling the OP to forget about actually studing and just pray. Does that make Evo dumb for saying your advice to "not study" is terrible advice?

kramer733 said:

Hmm...we try to keep the level of discussion here above retorts that a 10-year-old would use.

Your advice is truly bizarre: don't ask him out, just flirt; take him to a club and "at least become intimate there" (:confused:); and to sleep with 12 guys to be sure of her feelings...really?!?

You're either trolling, or you need to work on your delivery.

Evo said:

Ditto:approve:

Whatever happened to our 1st successful date anyway?:biggrin: I guess if the good advising cause that people disappear from here we should stop giving good advice:biggrin::devil:

Evo said:
I concur!

Much better advice:
Evo said:
Ask him out and stop worrying. You are looking for a romantic relationship not an academic collaboration. You sound like a nice person. :smile:

It's actually pretty flattering to be asked out on a date by a woman. Not emasculating at all. Much harder is to say no without hurting feelings.

Lisa! said:
Ditto:approve:

Whatever happened to our 1st successful date anyway?:biggrin: I guess if the good advising cause that people disappear from here we should stop giving good advice:biggrin::devil:

There's been a first successful date based on our advice?? :eek:

They should dump them immediately! If anything anyone has suggested here actually worked, then there's something seriously wrong with the person they're dating!

It kind of makes me wonder ... where is a person most likely to get good dating advice?

1) The Physics Forum
2) The Divorce Forum
3) Yahoo Answers
4) From a Chinese fortune cookie

Should a person be depressed about having searched all four places for advice?

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Whatever happened to our 1st successful date anyway?:biggrin:

Must have gone well -- she's too busy counting her lucky stars with the new guy to come and report back! :!)

rolerbe said:
Must have gone well -- she's too busy counting her lucky stars with the new guy to come and report back! :!)
Imagine the headlines a few centuries from now:

Just in: Humans from Internet Age found in ancient capsule near asteroid Pluto; extinct forum may hold answers.

Hello Everyone, my, my this thread has been busy since I last checked! Yes sorry for not reporting back sooner but thought I would post today to let you all know that everything is still going great with my astrophysicst! It's still very early days but we have really clicked and I just have a really great feeling about things, not exactly scientific but sometimes you really do just need to go with your intuition. Thanks again everyone for all the advice and giving me the push I need to go after him. This is my best Christmas in years!

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best for 2010!

I would say that's the first time I hear that PF advice was actually right. But if it worked - I am happy with you.

All the best!

It's still very early days but we have really clicked and I just have a really great feeling about things, not exactly scientific but sometimes you really do just need to go with your intuition. Thanks again everyone for all the advice and giving me the push I need to go after him.

I am not sure what that means ... in a relationship/single/complicated

rootX said:
I am not sure what that means ... in a relationship/single/complicated

It means we win! We got an assist.

BobG said:
There's been a first successful date based on our advice?? :eek:

They should dump them immediately! If anything anyone has suggested here actually worked, then there's something seriously wrong with the person they're dating!

It kind of makes me wonder ... where is a person most likely to get good dating advice?

1) The Physics Forum
2) The Divorce Forum
3) Yahoo Answers
4) From a Chinese fortune cookie

Should a person be depressed about having searched all four places for advice?

:rofl::rofl:

No, s/he should come straightly to you and cyrus for advice!

Wish you the bst of luck, Klute!:smile:
rolerbe said:

You were right!:biggrin:

<h2>1. How does being a scientist affect your relationship?</h2><p>Being a scientist, regardless of the specific field, requires a lot of dedication and time. This can sometimes make it challenging to balance work and personal life. However, it also means that we are passionate and curious individuals who are always eager to learn and explore, which can make for exciting and stimulating conversations and experiences in a relationship.</p><h2>2. Do you only talk about science all the time?</h2><p>No, we have many other interests and hobbies outside of our work. While we are passionate about science, we also enjoy discussing and learning about a variety of topics. We value having a well-rounded and diverse range of conversations and experiences, and we are always open to learning new things.</p><h2>3. Are you always busy and unavailable?</h2><p>Our work can be demanding and time-consuming, but we also understand the importance of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. We make an effort to prioritize our relationships and make time for our loved ones. Communication is key, and we are always willing to find a balance that works for both parties.</p><h2>4. Are you too intelligent for a relationship?</h2><p>No, intelligence does not determine one's compatibility or success in a relationship. We may have a strong understanding of certain scientific concepts, but we are still human beings with emotions, vulnerabilities, and the desire for love and companionship.</p><h2>5. Can you help me understand complex scientific concepts?</h2><p>Of course, we are always happy to share our knowledge and expertise with others. However, it is important to remember that we are not always experts in every scientific field. It is always best to do your own research and ask questions to gain a better understanding of a topic rather than relying solely on one person's knowledge.</p>

1. How does being a scientist affect your relationship?

Being a scientist, regardless of the specific field, requires a lot of dedication and time. This can sometimes make it challenging to balance work and personal life. However, it also means that we are passionate and curious individuals who are always eager to learn and explore, which can make for exciting and stimulating conversations and experiences in a relationship.

2. Do you only talk about science all the time?

No, we have many other interests and hobbies outside of our work. While we are passionate about science, we also enjoy discussing and learning about a variety of topics. We value having a well-rounded and diverse range of conversations and experiences, and we are always open to learning new things.

3. Are you always busy and unavailable?

Our work can be demanding and time-consuming, but we also understand the importance of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. We make an effort to prioritize our relationships and make time for our loved ones. Communication is key, and we are always willing to find a balance that works for both parties.

4. Are you too intelligent for a relationship?

No, intelligence does not determine one's compatibility or success in a relationship. We may have a strong understanding of certain scientific concepts, but we are still human beings with emotions, vulnerabilities, and the desire for love and companionship.

5. Can you help me understand complex scientific concepts?

Of course, we are always happy to share our knowledge and expertise with others. However, it is important to remember that we are not always experts in every scientific field. It is always best to do your own research and ask questions to gain a better understanding of a topic rather than relying solely on one person's knowledge.