Understanding Molecule Theory: Tips and Tricks for Hands-On Physics Enthusiasts

• Thread starter Jim M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, Jim is asking about whether it is possible to compress gas molecules through E-M fields. E-M fields can alter the spatial wavefunctions of molecules, but this isn't useful for compression in gas. Ionising gases will generally produce high energy rays.
Jim M
Hi all. I love the fact that you have this forum!
I need help with a problem of mine that has been lingering in the back of my mind for years. I would like to put it to rest.
I am a backyard hands on kind a guy with regards to Physics.
My background is in Mechanical Engineering but I have several pet projects within the Physics realm of influence.

My question is two part and hopefully simple:

1. Can you through the use of Electro-magnetism compress molecules? Especially targeting gas molecules.
2. Would the act of compressing or uncompressing a molecule produce radiation or x-rays?

I would appreciate any help given.
Thanks
Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
1. molecule's vibrational frequencies can be changed by using x-rays (using correct wavelength).
2. yes...generally when you de-excite a molecule, it emits x-rays or produce phonons.

Rajini said:
Hi,
1. molecule's vibrational frequencies can be changed by using x-rays (using correct wavelength).
2. yes...generally when you de-excite a molecule, it emits x-rays or produce phonons.

So would it be possible to compress a gas molecule through a series of compression acts? Then later release that compression rapidly? Perhaps I do not know the fundamentals of how molecules work. But would they rapidly expand and produce a thrust effect?

Rajini said:
Hi,

Being an aftermath generation of the Star wars/Star trek era, I have always wondered (since high school where I learned the principal operations of a turbine engine) If it was possible to compress the molecular structure of gas partials electro magnetically (possibly acting on charged particles?) and then pass the compressed particles through a plasma beam. (Heating them past the point of magnetic properties) and causing a thrust effect.
I know these ideas are odd, but please help me put a long time troubled mind at ease.
Thanks
Jim

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Compressing the molecules is different from (and doesn't help towards) compressing the gas, and what you want to do is the latter.

I don't know exactly about compression..but you can study vibrations of atoms/molecules with the help of X-rays. Each vibration has it own energy...i.e. different x-ray energies excite different vibration..But in both the case you don't compress or expand..

I would think that x-rays ionize/dissociate, rather than merely vibrate, a molecule. x-rays are (or at least were originally) defined as EM radiation that originates from electron capture in the inner shells of atoms - thus the electronic structure of the atom is altered. The energy of an x-ray photon is tremendous compared to the bonding energy of a molecule.

I would assume that the types of photons associated with squeezing and vibrating molecules would be more like microwaves or maybe up to infrared.

Jim M said:
1. Can you through the use of Electro-magnetism compress molecules? Especially targeting gas molecules.

You can use E-M fields to alter the spatial wavefunction of electronic orbitals (quite routinely in fact). You can extract useful work out of this (for example, through piezoelectricity), but not in gases (at least, not in the way you are alluding to) as the molecules have no fixed orientation.

You can however, do this in a round-about way through ionising gases, which is stripping the outer electrons (thus "compressing" the atom in the sense of making it smaller).

Jim M said:
2. Would the act of compressing or uncompressing a molecule produce radiation or x-rays?

I would appreciate any help given.
Thanks
Jim

No, but ionising gases will generally produce high energy rays.

Claude.

What is Molecule Theory?

Molecule Theory is a scientific concept that explains the behavior and properties of substances at the molecular level. It helps us understand how molecules interact with each other and how these interactions affect the physical and chemical properties of substances.

Why is understanding Molecule Theory important?

Understanding Molecule Theory is important because it helps us make sense of the world around us. It explains why certain substances have certain properties and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is essential for fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics.

How can I apply Molecule Theory in hands-on experiments?

Molecule Theory can be applied in hands-on experiments by using different techniques to observe and manipulate molecules. For example, you can use a microscope to see the structure of molecules or use chemical reactions to study how molecules interact with each other.

What are some tips for understanding Molecule Theory?

Here are some tips for understanding Molecule Theory:
1. Familiarize yourself with the basic concepts, such as the structure and properties of atoms and molecules.
2. Use visual aids, such as diagrams and models, to help you visualize and understand the behavior of molecules.
3. Practice solving problems and applying Molecule Theory to real-world scenarios.
4. Stay updated on new research and developments in the field of Molecule Theory.
5. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek the help of experts.

What are some fun and easy experiments to demonstrate Molecule Theory?

There are many fun and easy experiments you can do to demonstrate Molecule Theory. Here are a few ideas:
1. Make your own lava lamp using oil, water, and food coloring to demonstrate the concept of density and how molecules behave differently in different substances.
2. Create a homemade slime using glue and borax to explore polymer molecules and their properties.
3. Use a balloon and hair to demonstrate static electricity and how molecules can transfer electrons.
4. Conduct a simple acid-base reaction using household items to show how molecules can bond and break apart.
5. Grow crystals using sugar or salt to observe the formation and structure of molecules.