Resonant frequency vs Natural frequency

In summary, resonant frequency and natural frequency are two terms used to describe the same phenomenon of resonance in vibrating systems. The difference lies in the context in which they are used, with resonant frequency being more commonly used in electrical circuits and natural frequency being used in mechanical systems. The presence of damping in a system can affect the values of these frequencies, with the damped natural frequency being lower than the undamped natural frequency. The concept is described by the characteristic equation for a second-order system.
sgsawant
I happened to sit in a presentation where the presenter displayed 2 separate values for resonant frequency and natural frequency. It was my understanding that the both are same and now I am in doubt.

Please explain - if there is and you know - the difference between resonant frequency and natural frequency.

I am specifically referring to beam resonance (and by extension - through its lumped element model - resonance in electrical circuits).

Regards,

-sgsawant

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a +1 for them being the same, as far as I know.

Resonance is a condition in which a vibrating system responds with maximum amplitude to a periodic driving force.
Mechanical systems (beams, pendula, springs, wine glasses, guitar strings etc) will have a number of possible frequencies at which this occurs. These are the system's natural frequencies of vibration. For example, a guitar string will have a series of possible frequencies where this happens, the lowest is called the fundamental frequency. The other frequencies are at values which are whole number multiples of the fundamental.
When resonance occurs, the frequency is often called a resonant frequency. This is just saying that resonance occurs when the driving force has the same value as one of the natural frequencies.
A beam can have more than one natural frequency, and therefore can be made to resonate at more than one frequency.
An (LC) series electrical circuit will resonate at a frequency given by f= (1/2π)√LC
This could be called its natural frequency or its resonant frequency. It doesn't really matter. (It's usually called its resonant frequency.)

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot! o:)

sgsawant said:
I happened to sit in a presentation where the presenter displayed 2 separate values for resonant frequency and natural frequency. It was my understanding that the both are same and now I am in doubt.

Please explain - if there is and you know - the difference between resonant frequency and natural frequency.

I am specifically referring to beam resonance (and by extension - through its lumped element model - resonance in electrical circuits).

Regards,

-sgsawant

The presenter was most likely referring to the damped natural frequency versus the undamped natural frequency. When the damping factor is small the two are very similar, but as the damping is increased the oscillation frequency decreases.

For example in a parallel LRC circuit the undamped natural frequency is :

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex]

whereas the actual oscillation frequency of the natural response's damped sinusoid is :

[tex]\sqrt{\frac1{LC} - \frac{1}{(2RC)^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
@uart
Well that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Can you point me to your source or give me a link that explains the concept?

Regards,

-sgsawant

The characteristic equation for a second order system is of the form :

[tex] s^2 + 2 \alpha s + w_0^2 [/tex]

For example in a parallel LRC circuit this would correspond to a function of the form :

[tex] s^2 + \frac{1}{RC} s + \frac{1}{LC} [/tex]

If the damping factor (alpha) is zero then the roots are at

[tex]\pm j \sqrt{1/(LC)}[/tex]

and it follows that the natural response is an undamped sinusoid of frequency 1/sqrt(LC).

When alpha is non zero the roots of the (quadratic) characteristic equation are

[tex]-\alpha \pm j \sqrt{(w_0^2 - \alpha^2)}[/tex]

from which it follows that the natural response is a damped sinusoid of frequency [itex]\sqrt{(w_0^2 - \alpha^2)}[/itex].

Last edited:
Great!

1. What is the difference between resonant frequency and natural frequency?

Resonant frequency is the frequency at which an object vibrates with maximum amplitude when excited by an external force. Natural frequency, on the other hand, is the frequency at which an object naturally vibrates without any external force.

2. How are resonant frequency and natural frequency related?

Resonant frequency is always equal to or very close to the natural frequency of an object. This is because when an external force is applied to an object, it causes it to vibrate at its natural frequency, resulting in maximum amplitude.

3. Can resonant frequency be manipulated?

Yes, resonant frequency can be manipulated by changing the properties of an object, such as its mass or stiffness. By altering these properties, the natural frequency of the object can be changed, leading to a change in its resonant frequency as well.

4. What happens when an object is exposed to its resonant frequency?

When an object is exposed to its resonant frequency, it starts to vibrate with maximum amplitude. This can lead to a phenomenon known as resonance, where the vibrations of the object can become so intense that it can cause damage or failure if not controlled.

5. How is knowledge of resonant frequency and natural frequency useful in real-world applications?

Understanding resonant frequency and natural frequency is important in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and music. It helps in designing structures and machines that can withstand vibrations, as well as in creating musical instruments with desired frequencies. It is also crucial in avoiding resonance-related disasters, such as the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940.