Use this form of radius vector

In summary, The conversation is about finding the rotor of vector F which is equal to r^4 r. The result of this rotor must be 0, but the process is not clear to the speaker. They are advised to use the spherical coordinate form of curl, but they are having trouble understanding it. They request for someone to show them how to solve it using spherical coordinates. The speaker also suggests another method which involves using the definition of curl and reminds them that the unit vector \hat r is not a constant with respect to position. They then provide their own solution, showing that the rotor is indeed 0. They seek confirmation if their solution is correct.
xz5x
Please help me! I'm not sure if this is a wright place to ask, but...

(vector) F = r^4 r(vector)
Find me rotor of F

Rotor of vector F must be 0, but I don't know how :confused: . You can't use this form of radius vector: xi+yj+zk (i, j, k are vectors), just leave r.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you..but I didn't find the wright answer there

What do you need by this question ?
let be must claire

This is what I need:
nabla x F
F = r^4 r (bold are vectors)..(r is radius vector)
The result of this is 0, but I don't know how...
Thank you for your help!

Well, if you can't or won't work with spherical coordinates then do it by brute force using the definition of curl. Just remember that the unit vector [itex]\hat r[/itex] is not a constant with respect to position!

Tide, I really don't know what to do with spherical coordinates. Maybe you can show me.
But, I found another way..Here it is:

nabla x r^4r =
= r^4rotr - r x grad r^4
= 0 - r x dr^4/dr r/r
= - r x dr^4/dr r/r
= - dr^4/dr 1/r rxr
= 0

btw. bold are vectors; curl=rot; nablaxnablaf=0; rot r=0; rxr=0

Can somebody tell me is this correct?

1. What is a radius vector?

A radius vector is a line segment that connects the origin of a coordinate system to a point in space. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the position of an object in relation to a reference point.

2. How is a radius vector used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a radius vector is often used to represent the position of a particle or object in a three-dimensional space. It is also used in calculations involving forces, motion, and other physical quantities.

3. Can a radius vector have a negative value?

Yes, a radius vector can have a negative value. This indicates that the point is located in the opposite direction of the origin in the coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between a radius vector and a displacement vector?

A radius vector describes the position of an object in relation to a reference point, while a displacement vector describes the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

5. Is "radius vector" the same as "position vector"?

Yes, "radius vector" and "position vector" are often used interchangeably and refer to the same concept of a line segment connecting a point in space to the origin of a coordinate system.