Pound Force / Pound Mass Question

• Thread starter dillonmhudson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the Imperial/British/USA system of measure is confusing when it comes to measuring force and mass. It is recommended to use the unit 'slug' for mass instead of 'pound-mass' to avoid confusion in Physics. While one pound of force can accelerate one slug at 1ft/sec^2, it takes less than 32 pounds of force to accelerate one pound-mass at the same rate. It is important to use consistent units, such as slugs for mass, when using equations like F=ma in this system.
dillonmhudson
Also an answer to this question would be great:
"It takes 32.174 pounds force (lbf) to accelerate one pound mass (lbm) one foot per second per second (ft/s^2)

Correct?"

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not correct. The Imperial/British/USA system of measure, whatever you call it, is confusing. A one pound-mass weighs 1 pound on Planet Earth. It is very confusing in Physics to use the pound-mass term. Instead, always use the 'slug' for mass if using this system. 1 slug weighs about 32 pounds on planet earth. One pound of force will accelerate 1 slug at the rate of 1ft/sec^2. I leave it to you to determine how many pounds of force will accelerate a one pound-mass at 1ft/sec^2, if you dare (it's a lot less than 32 pounds force to do so).

Goodness... ok.
I only use pound force and pound mass because my professor uses them.

Thanks!

That's unfortunate in my estimation. When using, for example, F=ma, if you want F in pounds of force and 'a' in ft/sec^2, you'd better be using slugs for the mass unit, or you'll get all messed up.

I agree. I can understand slugs well because I can relate them to kgs... but throwing lbm into the mix is just overkill.

1. What is the difference between pound force and pound mass?

Pound force (lbf) is a unit of force that measures the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of one pound at a rate of 32.17405 feet per second squared. Pound mass (lbm) is a unit of mass that measures the amount of matter in an object. The two units are related, but they measure different quantities.

2. How are pound force and pound mass related to each other?

Pound force and pound mass are related by the gravitational constant, which is approximately equal to 32.17405 feet per second squared. This means that one pound force is equivalent to one pound mass multiplied by the gravitational constant.

3. Can pound force and pound mass be used interchangeably?

No, pound force and pound mass cannot be used interchangeably as they measure different quantities. Pound force measures force, while pound mass measures mass. It is important to use the correct unit depending on the quantity being measured.

4. How are pound force and pound mass commonly used in science?

Pound force and pound mass are commonly used in engineering and mechanics to measure forces and masses. They are also used in the United States customary system of units for everyday measurements such as weight and pressure.

5. What are some other units of force and mass that can be used instead of pound force and pound mass?

Other units of force that can be used include newtons (N) and dynes (dyn), while other units of mass include kilograms (kg) and grams (g). These units are part of the International System of Units (SI) and are commonly used in scientific research and calculations.