Why Do My Calculations for Tension Differ from Expected Results?

In summary: Yes, something wrong with your evaluation. Formulas look right and give the right answer.I just don't understand where i have gone wrong though.
loba333
This is irritating me so much, if you guys could help that would be great.
there is a mass hung from a celling. two wires connect to one wire which connects to the mass.
i have resolved the forces as follows :

Fx=0= -T1cos37 + T2cos53

Fy=0=T1sin37 + T2sin53 – T3

T3 = 125N as this is the force due to gravity on the mass.

The way i tried to work it out is by using Fx where T1=T2cos53/cos37
and then plugging this into Fy to get 125 = T2cos53sin37/cos37 + T2sin53

I then factor out T2 and divide 125 by the result of all the cosines and sines

how ever i get T1=65N and T2=71N when the actual answers are T1=75.1N, T2=99.9N

what am i doing wrong this is simple algebra surely!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct, you made a mistake somewhere during calculations, but I can not find it out.

To make the calculation simple, notice that 53+37=90, so cos(53)=sin(37) and sin(53)=cos(37), so you have ((sin^2(37)/cos(37)+cos(37))T2=125, that is T2/cos(37)=125.

ehild

Yes, something wrong with your evaluation. Formulas look right and give the right answer.

I just don't understand where i have gone wrong though. i still don't understand how to get from the resolved Fx Fy equations to the actual tensions.

Cheers for the cosx=siny if x + y = 90 info Ehlid !

ehild said:
Everything is correct, you made a mistake somewhere during calculations, but I can not find it out.

To make the calculation simple, notice that 53+37=90, so cos(53)=sin(37) and sin(53)=cos(37), so you have ((sin^2(37)/cos(37)+cos(37))T2=125, that is T2/cos(37)=125.

ehild

So, T2 = 125*cos(37) = 99.8. Similarly, find T1.

loba333 said:
I just don't understand where i have gone wrong though. i still don't understand how to get from the resolved Fx Fy equations to the actual tensions.

Show your evaluation.

ehild

1. What is a force and how is it measured?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate. It is measured in Newtons (N) using a force meter or scale.

2. How do I resolve forces in a given system?

To resolve forces, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system. Then, using vector addition, you can break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and add them together to find the net force.

3. What is the significance of resolving forces?

Resolving forces allows us to determine the overall effect of multiple forces acting on a system. This is essential in understanding how objects move and interact with each other.

4. Can you resolve a force into more than two components?

Yes, a force can be resolved into as many components as needed to accurately represent its direction and magnitude.

5. How can resolving forces be applied in real-world situations?

Resolving forces is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to analyze and predict the motion of objects. It is also crucial in designing structures, machines, and vehicles to ensure their stability and functionality.