Solve Breaking Tension Puzzle: Min Breaking Tension Revealed

• Thread starter radiobear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a girl of mass M is swinging on a rope of length R tied to a tree branch over a creek. She starts from rest at a point R/2 lower than the branch. The problem is to find the minimum breaking tension for the rope so that it does not break and drop the girl into the creek. The textbook does not mention this concept, but it is important to consider in a problem where the tension may be varying. It must be larger than the maximal tension computed assuming the rope does not break.
radiobear
I am brand new to this website so I hope somebody can help. I have a homework problem that goes like this: A girl of mass M is taking a picnic lunch to her grandmother. She ties a rope of length R to a tree branch over a creek and starts to swing from rest at a point that is a distance R/2 lower that the branch. What is the minimum breaking tension for the rope if it is not to break and drop the girl into the creek?
I do not even know where to begin in this problem. My textbook does not mention minimum breaking tension at all. If anybody knows a formula to use I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the tension on the rope at the bottom of her swing?

radiobear:
With "minimum breaking tension" is meant that value of the tension which will cause the rope to break (ideal rope dynamics becomes invalid when that happens).
Clearly then, in a problem where the tension might be varying, it is crucial that the "minimum breaking tension" is larger than the maximal tension you may compute from your problem (in which you assume that the rope does NOT break).
Follow Tide's instruction.

1. What is a breaking tension puzzle?

A breaking tension puzzle is a type of problem-solving game or challenge where the goal is to find the minimum amount of force needed to break a specific object or structure.

2. How do you solve a breaking tension puzzle?

To solve a breaking tension puzzle, you must carefully analyze the structure and determine where the weakest points or joints are. Then, you can apply different amounts of force to those points and observe the results until you find the minimum breaking tension needed.

3. What factors can affect the breaking tension of an object?

The breaking tension of an object can be influenced by various factors, such as its material properties, design and construction, temperature, and external forces. Other factors like age and wear and tear can also play a role.

4. Are there any real-world applications for breaking tension puzzles?

Yes, breaking tension puzzles have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. They are often used to test the strength and durability of structures and materials, as well as to design and improve them.

5. Are there any tips for solving breaking tension puzzles?

Some tips for solving breaking tension puzzles include carefully examining the structure, starting with the most obvious weak points, and applying force gradually to avoid breaking the object too quickly. It can also be helpful to think outside the box and try different approaches if one method is not working.