Thermodynamics lab: Heat Engine Examination

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power, efficiency, and air to fuel ratio. The given data includes torque, speed, temperatures, volumetric flow, fuel pressure, and calorific value. The only unknown is the mass flow rate of the fuel, which is not provided in the formula. Further clarification is requested and it is later determined that the given speed is actually the mass flow rate in liters per minute.
CptJackWest

Homework Statement

Calculate the Power, Efficiency, air to fuel ratio.

torque-3.809Nm
speed-3137.207 l/min
T1 Temperature Exhaust=412.598degC
T2 Temperature Ambient=19.141degC
T3 Temperature Fuel=18.994degC
dv/dt Volumetric Flow Air=109.954 l/min
p fuel Fuel Pressure= 21.475 mbar
calorific value of fuel= 435kj/kg

The only thing I am not sure on is how to calculate the mass flow rate of the fuel.
no formula is given, but tried Q=m(T2-T1) but I don't know Q. any help or tips would be great.
Cheers
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
You have speed as 3137.207 l/min. Speed of what? Are these units correct?

Thanks for helping.
This problem is from an experiment we did involving an engine.The speed was to stated but I am taking it as the speed of the shaft in the engine. That units that i wrote is what is the data sheet I was given. I did not like the look of them either, but I am now assuming that it in meters per minute.

If you measured the speed of an operating engine with a tachometer, then 3137 is more likely measured in revolutions per minute (RPM).

Thanks for the help, my teacher ended up explaining the whole thing to me and it is now a lot clearer. The speed was not the speed but the mass flow rate in litres per min.
Thanks a lot for trying to help.
cheers

What is the purpose of a heat engine examination in a thermodynamics lab?

The purpose of a heat engine examination is to analyze the efficiency and performance of a heat engine, which is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. This allows scientists to understand the principles of thermodynamics and how they can be applied to real-world engines.

How is the efficiency of a heat engine determined?

The efficiency of a heat engine is determined by calculating the ratio of the work output to the heat input. This is known as the Carnot efficiency, which is the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two temperature extremes.

What factors can affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, and the design and construction of the engine. Friction and heat losses can also impact the efficiency.

What is the difference between a heat engine and a refrigerator?

A heat engine converts thermal energy into mechanical work, while a refrigerator uses mechanical work to transfer thermal energy from a low-temperature reservoir to a high-temperature reservoir. In other words, a heat engine produces work while a refrigerator requires work.

Why is it important to study heat engines in a thermodynamics lab?

Studying heat engines in a thermodynamics lab allows scientists to understand the principles of thermodynamics and how they can be applied to real-world engines. This knowledge is crucial in developing more efficient and environmentally friendly engines for various applications, such as transportation and power generation.