Why Does My Calculation of Big Ben's Angular Momentum Keep Going Wrong?

Therefore, the total angular momentum of the hands is calculated by adding the individual angular momentums of the minute and hour hands, which are treated as long, thin uniform rods. After calculation, the total angular momentum is 1.76, which may suggest that the individual calculations were done correctly.
Cyrad2
This is a problem that seemed easy to me. I keep recalculating the answer, and I keep getting it wrong. I'm not sure if I'm approaching the problem incorrectly, or if I'm just making some small dumb mistake. Here's the question:

Big Ben (see the figure below), the Parliament Building tower clock in London, has hour and minute hands with lengths of 2.65 m and 4.45 m and masses of 61.0 kg and 101 kg, respectively. Calculate the total angular momentum of these hands about the center point. Treat the hands as long, thin uniform rods.

Ltot = Lmin + Lhour
L=I*W
Irod = .5*m*L^2
Wmin = 2pi/3600
Whour = 2pi/86400

Lmin = .5(101)4.45^2 * 2pi/3600 = 1.745
Lhour = .5(61)2.65^2 * 2pi/86400 = .0156
Ltot = 1.745 + .0156 = 1.76

1.76 is what I keep getting. Any thoughts, comments, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrad2 said:
Ltot = Lmin + Lhour
L=I*W
Irod = .5*m*L^2
Wmin = 2pi/3600
Whour = 2pi/86400
The rotational inertia of a thin rod about one end is [itex]I = 1/3 m L^2[/itex].

It's great that you have been working on this problem and have already calculated the total angular momentum. It's possible that you are making a small mistake in your calculations, but it's also important to make sure you are approaching the problem correctly.

First, let's review the formula for angular momentum: L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, we are dealing with two separate rods (the hour hand and the minute hand), so we need to calculate the moment of inertia for each rod separately.

As you correctly pointed out, the formula for the moment of inertia for a thin rod is I = 1/12 * m * L^2. However, this formula assumes that the rod is rotating about its center of mass. In this problem, the rods are rotating about a fixed point (the center of the clock), so we need to use a different formula for the moment of inertia.

The formula for the moment of inertia for a thin rod rotating about an axis at one end is I = 1/3 * m * L^2. Using this formula, we can calculate the moment of inertia for each rod:

Imin = 1/3 * 101 kg * (4.45 m)^2 = 665.51 kg m^2
Ihour = 1/3 * 61 kg * (2.65 m)^2 = 125.27 kg m^2

Now, we can calculate the angular velocity for each hand. The minute hand makes one full rotation every 3600 seconds (60 minutes), so its angular velocity is ωmin = 2π/3600 rad/s. The hour hand makes one full rotation every 86400 seconds (24 hours), so its angular velocity is ωhour = 2π/86400 rad/s.

Finally, we can calculate the total angular momentum:
Ltot = Lmin + Lhour = Imin * ωmin + Ihour * ωhour
= (665.51 kg m^2 * 2π/3600 rad/s) + (125.27 kg m^2 * 2π/86400 rad/s)
= 3.68 kg m^2/s + 0.45 kg m^2/s
= 4.13 kg m^2/s

This is slightly different from your calculated value, but it may be due to rounding errors

1. What is total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of all the particles in the system.

2. How is total angular momentum calculated?

Total angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of the object's angle) and the direction of the axis of rotation.

3. What is the conservation of total angular momentum?

The conservation of total angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, meaning that it does not change over time. This is similar to the conservation of energy, where the total energy in a system remains constant.

4. How is total angular momentum related to rotational kinetic energy?

Total angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy are related because they both involve the rotation of an object. The rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its rotation, and it is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity. This means that as the total angular momentum increases, so does the rotational kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum can be observed in various situations, such as a spinning top, a rotating planet, or the motion of a figure skater performing a spin. It is also an important concept in the study of celestial bodies, such as galaxies and stars.