Actual integration of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in integrating the function x^a and the use of geometric progressions to divide the interval for easier calculation. It also raises the question of whether it is worth doing every problem in Courant's calculus book.
courtrigrad
Hello all

I am having trouble integrating the function x^a. Take in consideration that we are not using any rules yet, but actually taking the passage of the limit. My question is:

int (from a to b) x^a dx why would it be inconvenient to divide the interval into equal parts? In the book it says we divide the interval as follows:

a, aq, aq^2, ..., aq^n-1, aq^n = b. (which is the geometric progression)

The answer is: (1/(a+1)(b^a+1 - a^a+1). But in the integration of x^2, we divide the interval from a to b in equal lengths of b/n. Why is this? Finally, do you think it is worth the time to do every single problem say in Courant's calculus book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
I am having trouble integrating the function x^a. Take in consideration that we are not using any rules yet, but actually taking the passage of the limit. My question is:

int (from a to b) x^a dx why would it be inconvenient to divide the interval into equal parts? In the book it says we divide the interval as follows:

a, aq, aq^2, ..., aq^n-1, aq^n = b. (which is the geometric progression)

The answer is: (1/(a+1)(b^a+1 - a^a+1). But in the integration of x^2, we divide the interval from a to b in equal lengths of b/n. Why is this?

You can divide the interval in any way you like. The idea is typically to select intervals so that the difference between lower and upper bounds is easy to calculate.

Finally, do you think it is worth the time to do every single problem say in Courant's calculus book?

I'm not familiar with the particular book, but for the more 'serious' calculus texts like Apostol it is at least worth looking at all of the questions to see if you can do them.

I think you're best off rewriting so that a has one meaning alone, and that the other terms are consistent (eg, n).

One of the bits of integration theory is that we may choose the division to suit our purposes. If we're integrating x^n, where n is a whole number, then equal sudivisions into r equal parts will lead to a sum n'th powers of integers, which we may well know how to sum, particularly if n=2.

However, it is easier to sum geometric progressions, which is why the book chooses them, I suppose.

NateTG: From what I've heard, Courant's book is at least as serious as Apostol's.

arildno said:
NateTG: From what I've heard, Courant's book is at least as serious as Apostol's.

It may not have been sufficiently clear, but I meant to make a general rather than specific comparison when I wrote more serious. I.e. I meant to say that if the calculus text is a serious calculus text, then it's a good idea to (at least) look at all of the problems.

IMO Courant's Book is even better than Apostol's, in fact, i think is the most complete calculus book around.

What is actual integration?

Actual integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the integral of a function. It is used to solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

What is the purpose of actual integration?

The purpose of actual integration is to find the exact value of the area under a curve or the integral of a function. It is also used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity over a specific time period.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the area under a curve or the integral of a function between two specific limits. Indefinite integration, on the other hand, involves finding a general solution for the integral of a function, without specific limits.

What are the different methods of actual integration?

There are several methods of actual integration, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. Each method is used to solve different types of integrals.

What are some common applications of actual integration?

Actual integration has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include calculating the area under a curve, finding the volume of a solid with a curved surface, and solving problems involving rates of change.