Finding a start to simple preamp circuit (1 opamp)

In summary, the conversation was about handling opamp circuits with feedback, specifically when there is no resistor in series with the input source. The person was looking for examples and equations to use, as this was not covered in their text. They were able to calculate the time constants for low and high frequencies, but needed guidance on how to determine the combination of C and R to solve for. The person expressed appreciation for the help they received so far.
ski
http://www.littleboyinc.com/uploader/uploads/opamp.JPG

I searched all over to get some notes on how to handle opamp circuits like this with feedback, but nothing on when there's no resistor in series with the input source. Can anyone help me out on where to find examples? This sort of thing isn't covered in my text, and I just need a push to find equations to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All right, here's what I've got:

Flo (low frequency of 50 Hz) = 1/(2pi*tau)

I repeated for Fhi (2000 Hz).

I solved for tau, which is some combination of C, R1, R2, and R3.

Now that I have two time constants, how do I determine what the combination of C and R's to solve for?

Thanks for the help so far, very much appreciated :)

There are a few ways you can approach designing a simple preamp circuit using just one opamp. One option is to use an inverting amplifier configuration, where the input signal is connected to the inverting input of the opamp and the output is fed back to the inverting input through a resistor. This resistor serves as the feedback element and can be adjusted to control the gain of the circuit.

Another option is to use a non-inverting amplifier configuration, where the input signal is connected to the non-inverting input of the opamp and the output is taken from the output of the opamp. In this case, the gain is determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor and the input resistor.

To find examples and equations for these types of circuits, you can refer to online resources such as electronics tutorials or application notes from opamp manufacturers. You can also try looking for circuit diagrams or schematics for similar preamp circuits that use a single opamp. These can serve as a starting point for your design and can be modified as needed.

Additionally, if your textbook does not cover this specific topic, you can try looking for other textbooks or reference books that focus on opamp circuits and their applications. These resources may provide more in-depth explanations and examples for designing preamp circuits using just one opamp.

Overall, the key is to experiment and try different configurations to see what works best for your specific application. Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from other electronics enthusiasts or professionals, as they may have experience with similar circuits and can offer valuable insights. Good luck with your project!

What is a preamp circuit and what is its purpose?

A preamp circuit is an electronic circuit that amplifies a weak signal from a source such as a microphone or guitar before sending it to a power amplifier. Its purpose is to boost the signal to a level that is suitable for further processing or recording.

What is a simple preamp circuit and why is it useful?

A simple preamp circuit is a basic design that uses only one operational amplifier (opamp) to amplify the signal. It is useful because it is easy to understand and construct, making it a good starting point for those new to electronics or DIY projects.

What components are needed to build a simple preamp circuit?

To build a simple preamp circuit, you will need an operational amplifier (opamp), resistors, capacitors, and a power supply. Optional components may include potentiometers, switches, and other passive components for adjusting the gain or other features of the circuit.

Where can I find a start to a simple preamp circuit using 1 opamp?

You can find many resources online, including circuit diagrams, tutorials, and videos, that provide a start to a simple preamp circuit using 1 opamp. Additionally, electronics books and forums may also have helpful information and examples.

What are some tips for troubleshooting and improving a simple preamp circuit?

If you encounter problems with your simple preamp circuit, some common troubleshooting steps include checking for loose connections, using a multimeter to test the components, and consulting online resources or experts for guidance. To improve your circuit, you can experiment with different component values and configurations to achieve your desired sound or performance.