Engineering Grad School with Physics Intended

In summary: It is always best to research the specific admissions criteria for each engineering program you are interested in to fully understand their requirements and how they may differ for applicants with non-engineering degrees. In summary, while having a physics degree may present some challenges, it is still possible to be accepted into an engineering graduate program as long as you meet the specific requirements of each school. It may also be helpful to take any required engineering courses before applying to increase your chances of acceptance.
kitaewolf
Hello, I'm an undergraduate in UC Berkeley who's considering going to an engineering graduate school. The problem is that I'm intending for a physics major. According to different sources, the fact that I'm majoring in physics itself isn't too much of a problem for getting accepted to the graduate school program.

My question, (rather like a concern), is on the admission criteria for engineering graduate program. Since I'd apply with physics degree rather than engineering degree, would there be a kind of different treatment by the graduate admission office? I'm more worried about whether there will be a preferential treatment for engineering bachelor's than physics degree.

Also, while I was reading some admission criteria for some engineering schools, they require other engineering majors like physics to take extra engineering courses after admitted to the graduate program. Would this requirement affect badly towards students with physics degree? If it does, would taking the required courses before applying help my chances?

Finally, how does the engineering school look at GPAs from different majors in general? Is physics GPA considered more harshly than GPA of a person graduated from engineering degree, considering that both applicants fulfilled the courses and other requirements by the program?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'd love to hear responses from a part of my questions. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each engineering school will have its own criteria for admission, and it is best to research the specific requirements for each program you are considering. Generally speaking, many engineering schools do prefer applicants with an engineering degree, but many do consider applications from students with a physics degree. It is possible that some engineering schools may require additional courses or tests after admission if you do have a physics degree, but these requirements can vary greatly between programs. In terms of GPAs, the engineering school typically looks at the overall GPA of an applicant, including grades from all major-specific courses taken. So, even if you have a physics degree, your GPA should be considered in the same way as someone with an engineering degree. However, some schools may also look at the GPA of major-specific courses to ensure that you have a strong foundation in the appropriate subject areas.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create practical solutions for real-world problems. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the natural world. While engineering relies heavily on physics, it also incorporates other disciplines such as math, materials science, and computer science.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a background in physics?

Yes, many graduate programs in engineering welcome students with a background in physics. While these programs may have specific prerequisites or require additional coursework, having a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial in understanding the underlying principles of engineering.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in engineering with a background in physics?

Having a background in physics can provide a strong foundation for understanding the theoretical concepts and principles behind engineering. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in both fields. Additionally, a graduate degree in engineering with a background in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries.

4. Are there any challenges in transitioning from physics to engineering in graduate school?

While there may be some challenges in adjusting to a new field, having a background in physics can provide a solid foundation for understanding the mathematical and theoretical concepts in engineering. However, students may need to take additional coursework to fill in any knowledge gaps or gain practical skills related to engineering.

5. What are some examples of engineering fields that are closely related to physics?

Some examples of engineering fields that are closely related to physics include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. These fields often rely on concepts from physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, to design and create innovative solutions for various applications.