How Quickly Will Water Drain from a Tank with a 13mm Hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 13-year-old struggling to understand advanced drainage equations and looking for a simpler equation to calculate the speed at which a 50 cm x 50 cm x 300 cm tank will drain through a 13mm hole. The simplified equation provided is: time = 2*A_tank*(sqrt(h1)-sqrt(h2)) / (C_d*A_orifice*sqrt(2g)). The variables used are Atank for the tank's surface area, Aorifice for the orifice's cross sectional area, h1 for the initial water level, h2 for the water level at the orifice, Cd for the coefficient of discharge (set to 0.6 or 0.7),
robhowe
Hi there, I've been looking at some of the drainage equations i have found aroundthese forums and I am struggling a lot to understand. I am 13 and good at maths, where i struggle is reading the advanced equations and figuring out what some of the posters mean.

Basicly i have a tank 50 cm across x 50 cm deep. The length is 300 cm. There is a 13mm drainage hole, I am trying to figure out how quickly the tank will drain.

I only need an approx answer so is there a simple equation to work this out, So i can adjust the drainage hole size??

thankyou

Engineering news on Phys.org
as i explained i don't understand the advanced formula, I am looking for a simple equation. Or just a more detailed description.

It does not get any simpler than that, though...this is the simple formula that results out of the general differential formula after integrating for a tank with constant cross-section...here is again, with better subscripts:

[itex]time = \frac{2*A_{tank}\left(\sqrt{h_{1}}-\sqrt{h_{2}}\right)}{C_{d}*A_{orifice}*\sqrt{2g}}[/itex]

Atank is the surface (cross sectional) area of the tank and Aorifice is the cross sectional area of the orifice the water is going to come out through.

h1 is the height (from the ground) of the water level at the beginning (when you open the orifice) and h2 is the height at which the orifice is.

As suggested in the other post, Cd can be set to some value like 0.6 or 0.7; g is just gravity.

Hi there,

First of all, it's great that you are interested in understanding and learning about drainage equations at such a young age. It shows a strong curiosity and desire to learn, which are important qualities for a scientist.

To answer your question, there are several factors that can affect the rate at which water drains from a tank, such as the shape and size of the tank, the size of the drainage hole, and the viscosity of the liquid inside the tank. In order to accurately calculate the drainage rate, a more complex equation would be needed.

However, for an approximate answer, we can use a simple equation called Torricelli's law, which states that the velocity of a fluid exiting a hole at the bottom of a tank is equal to the square root of 2gh, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and h is the height of the water above the hole.

In your case, the height of water above the hole is 50 cm, or 0.5 meters. Plugging this into the equation, we get a velocity of approximately 3.13 m/s. This means that the water will drain from the tank at a rate of 3.13 meters per second.

To adjust the drainage rate, you can change the size of the drainage hole. The larger the hole, the greater the flow of water and the faster the tank will drain. However, it's important to note that changing the size of the hole may also affect other factors such as the stability of the tank and the pressure inside.

I hope this helps you understand the basics of water drainage from a tank. Keep up your interest in math and science, and never stop asking questions!

1. How does water drainage from a tank work?

The process of water drainage from a tank involves gravity and a drainage system. Gravity pulls the water down through the drainage system, which consists of pipes and valves, and directs it to a designated outlet. The water flows out of the tank until it reaches the outlet level, and then stops.

2. What factors affect the rate of water drainage from a tank?

The rate of water drainage from a tank can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the tank, the diameter and length of the drainage pipes, the level of water in the tank, and the presence of any obstructions or blockages in the drainage system.

3. Can the rate of water drainage be controlled?

Yes, the rate of water drainage from a tank can be controlled by adjusting the size and number of drainage pipes, as well as the level of water in the tank. A valve can also be installed to regulate the flow of water and control the drainage rate.

4. How often should water drainage from a tank be performed?

The frequency of water drainage from a tank depends on its usage and the quality of water being stored. Generally, it is recommended to drain the tank at least once a year to remove any sediment or buildup that may have accumulated.

5. What are the potential problems with water drainage from a tank?

Potential problems with water drainage from a tank include clogging or blockages in the drainage system, leaks or cracks in the tank or pipes, and uneven or slow drainage due to improper installation or maintenance. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the tank and drainage system to prevent these issues.