How long until the ball hits the ground?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground when thrown downward from a height of 30m at a speed of 8m/s, with negligible air resistance and a gravity of 9.8m/s. The attempted solution using the equation deltaX=Vi+(1/2)a(t^2) resulted in 2.12, but the correct answer is 1.79. The conversation then delves into solving the equation 30=8+(1/2)(9.8)(t^2) to find the correct solution.
hyde2042

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown downward from a height of 30m at 8m/s. How long until it hits the ground?
(Air resistance is negligible and gravity is 9.8m/s

Homework Equations

I tried deltaX=Vi+(1/2)a(t^2) and came out with 2.12, but the solution says it's 1.79.

The Attempt at a Solution

30=8+(1/2)(9.8)(t^2)
22=4.9(t^2)
sqrt4.49=sqrt(t^2)
t=2.12

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not missing a t?
[tex]V = V_i + a t[/tex]
so
[tex]\Delta x = V_i \mathbb{t} + \frac12 a t^2[/tex]

Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm evenb more confused by the additional t.

I ended up at 30-8t=4.9(t^2)

What I keep doing after that seems to make it more complicated than it should be. COuld you possibly point me in the right direction? Thank you for your time.

It's a standard quadratic equation, of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0.
How do you solve one of those?

Ah... hate when I over look simple things. Thank you very much.

1. How is the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground calculated?

The time it takes for a ball to hit the ground can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Does the weight of the ball affect the time it takes to hit the ground?

Yes, the weight of the ball does affect the time it takes to hit the ground. Heavier balls will take longer to fall due to a stronger force of gravity acting on them.

3. Can air resistance affect the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground. The presence of air resistance will slow down the ball's descent, resulting in a longer time for it to reach the ground.

4. How does the initial velocity of the ball impact the time it takes to hit the ground?

The initial velocity of the ball will affect the time it takes to hit the ground by increasing or decreasing the distance the ball travels. The higher the initial velocity, the longer the ball will stay in the air before hitting the ground.

5. Is the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground affected by the height from which it is dropped?

Yes, the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground is affected by the height from which it is dropped. The higher the initial height, the longer the ball will take to hit the ground due to a longer distance to fall.