Diamond Planet, a woman's new best friend

In summary, Astronomers have discovered a planet just 4,000 light years away from Earth that is made of diamond. The planet, known as J1719-1438, is theorized to be a relic of a star that shed its outer layer to reveal its inner riches. It is just five times the size of Earth and orbits a star every 2 hours and 10 minutes. The discovery has sparked discussions about the value of diamonds and the potential for mining on this new planet. Some are already joking about giving it as a gift or using it as a ring. However, others are more interested in finding a planet made of other gemstones or even one with oceans of beer and fried chicken as the predominant life form.
rhody
Gold Member
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20097817-71/astronomers-weve-found-a-planet-made-of-diamond/"
Astronomers are theorizing that this as-yet unnamed planet--just 4,000 light years from us--is actually a relic of a star shed its outer layer to reveal its inner riches. Planet Tiffany (you have a problem with the name I've given it?) appears to be merely five times the size of Earth. The star it orbits every 2 hours and 10 minutes does have a very fetching name: J1719-1438.
I have absolutely no prediction about this thread, and with the cast of regulars we have here at PF, am hoping it will generate some funny, interesting discussion. Pengy, Jimmy, Evo, Lisa are you listening, or will this thread be just another heavy carbon 4000 light year from Earth dud ?

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen it. It's fake; obviously a cubic zirconia planet.

Last edited:
I think there is a woman from AZ that is bulking up to wear this planet on a ring.

Yes, yes, yes, we are off to a good start, there is hope...

Rhody... :biggrin: :tongue2:

rhody said:
Yes, yes, yes, we are off to a good start, there is hope...

Rhody... :biggrin: :tongue2:

My friend just gave this planet to his girlfriend when he proposed. My girlfriend looked at me: "looks like you've got some saving to do."

I can hear it now... "it's nice, don't get me wrong; I really like it... but it's no J1719-1438."

Is the entire planet made of diamond? I can't get that from the brief at Science.

Astronomers are now looking for a white gold planet to make the setting, shoulders, and claw.

Last edited:
Newai said:
Is the entire planet made of diamond? I can't get that from the brief at Science.

No, there's a small graphite flaw near the southern polar region and a quartz inclusion near the equator.

:!) Must... HAVE!

Now let's see, how long until I can travel to it to claim it as mine?

*whips out calculator*

oh.

:cry:

Can I get that in a princess cut?

FlexGunship said:
Astronomers are now looking for a white gold planet to make the setting, shoulders, and claw.
Is that because the price of gold is over 1800 USD/oz today? What are diamonds worth anyway? Turbo!

dlgoff said:
Is that because the price of gold is over 1800 USD today? What are diamonds worth anyway. Turbo!
Diamonds are crap! If you want to invest in gemstones, deep green emeralds and nice Burmese rubies are worth 'way more than diamonds, and the asian women will hunt you down to buy them.

turbo said:
Diamonds are crap! If you want to invest in gemstones, deep green emeralds and nice Burmese rubies are worth 'way more than diamonds, and the asian women will hunt you down to buy them.

Yeah, I heard astronomers were diverting their planet-hunting to find other cosmogenic gemstones.

This gives me hope then that we may yet find a planet who's oceans are made of beer and the predominant biological life-form is a chicken that's already fried. Sigh . . .

turbo said:
I knew you would answer this. :smile:

And yea. Diamonds aren't forever. Rubies rule. And Asian women. :wink:

dlgoff said:
I knew you would answer this. :smile:

And yea. Diamonds aren't forever. Rubies rule. And Asian women. :wink:

uhh? :uhh:
Asian women are forever? Or they rule?

I like Serena said:
uhh? :uhh:
Asian women are forever? Or they rule?
Both :biggrin:

I declare this thread: "a WINNER", now, where is Pengy, Evo, Jimmy, and Lisa ?!

Will someone please rattle their cages !

Rhody...

Flex, I crown you the official: J1719-1438 post ... hehe...

There was a show on the end of the universe and they were saying that stars that go supernova may have diamond cores. They were showing one that was 10 times the size of earth. I heard deBeers has already started figuring out ways to claim ownership.

There has been a spike in divorce papers being sent out today. Women, mainly in New York, all of a sudden seem to feel there are better guys out there.

Pengwuino said:
There has been a spike in divorce papers being sent out today. Women, mainly in New York, all of a sudden seem to feel there are better guys out there.
:rofl:

Tiffanians are wondering why on Earth Queen Elizabeth is wearing a rock in her crown...

Are they close to discovering the planet "Where socks go from the dryer" anytime soon?

Pengwuino said:
Yeah, to astrominernuts who plan to mine one of these, obviously much closer, interesting Evo, I must have missed the diamond core supernova show, obviously you didn't.
I declare this thread a faceted sparkling success :approve: already. I wonder why this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=524061" was such a boner :yuck:. Must not be many twins are PF members.
I thought for sure this would flush them out ! Maybe I will get a few replies by repeating it here, then again, maybe not...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
I think there is a woman from AZ that is bulking up to wear this planet on a ring.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want that planet! That way I can pick the the size for my perfect ring :)

:blankeye:... Did that lady accept the gift, I mean the planet? ReAlLy!

Am I the only woman on the planet who thinks diamonds aren't a big deal? I have no idea why they cost so much or why people want them - they just aren't anything special to look at, to me. I've seen prettier broken glass.

Ah now a broken glass planet, that would be something :!)!

lisab said:
Am I the only woman on the planet who thinks diamonds aren't a big deal? I have no idea why they cost so much or why people want them - they just aren't anything special to look at, to me. I've seen prettier broken glass.

I don't think they deserve the attention... A planet of gold [STRIKE]might[/STRIKE] IS interesting though. :P

turbo said:

OMG that might be my wife.:biggrin:

lisab said:

Ah now a broken glass planet, that would be something :!)!
There are dark emeralds and Burmese rubies that can command several times the price per carat of a flawless diamond. Diamonds are very common, and they are only expensive because of monopoly conditions.

I used to facet gemstones as a hobby (might get back to that) and whenever I took flats of gems to a very old and well-respected jewelry store in the state capitol, the buyer never let me leave there with a single Maine tourmaline. Sad, because he bought fake "watermelon" stones that were obvious superglue marriages of pink and green tourmalines. He was foisting them off as real (knowingly or not) and I had to stop selling to him. Couldn't have my name attached to someone who was so dishonest.

I started buying gold mounts (rings, pendants, etc) and using the stones as Christmas/engagement/birthday presents. I think every living female relative has at least one piece of jewelry with one of my gem-stones in it.

lisab said:
Am I the only woman on the planet who thinks diamonds aren't a big deal?

Yes.

Yes you are.

<h2>What is a "Diamond Planet"?</h2><p>A "Diamond Planet" is a hypothetical planet that is believed to be composed primarily of carbon, making it similar to a diamond in structure. It is currently a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed to exist.</p><h2>How is a Diamond Planet formed?</h2><p>It is believed that a Diamond Planet could form from a carbon-rich protoplanetary disk, similar to how diamonds are formed on Earth. The intense pressure and heat within the disk would cause the carbon to crystallize into a diamond structure.</p><h2>Could a Diamond Planet support life?</h2><p>It is highly unlikely that a Diamond Planet could support life as we know it. The extreme conditions on such a planet, such as high temperatures and pressures, would make it inhospitable for most forms of life.</p><h2>How big would a Diamond Planet be?</h2><p>The size of a Diamond Planet would depend on its composition and location in the universe. It could range from being as small as a moon to being as large as a gas giant planet.</p><h2>What would happen if a person stood on a Diamond Planet?</h2><p>If a Diamond Planet were to exist and a person were to stand on its surface, they would likely experience extreme heat and pressure, making it impossible for them to survive. Additionally, the surface would likely be covered in sharp diamond crystals, making it difficult to stand or move around.</p>

What is a "Diamond Planet"?

A "Diamond Planet" is a hypothetical planet that is believed to be composed primarily of carbon, making it similar to a diamond in structure. It is currently a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed to exist.

How is a Diamond Planet formed?

It is believed that a Diamond Planet could form from a carbon-rich protoplanetary disk, similar to how diamonds are formed on Earth. The intense pressure and heat within the disk would cause the carbon to crystallize into a diamond structure.

Could a Diamond Planet support life?

It is highly unlikely that a Diamond Planet could support life as we know it. The extreme conditions on such a planet, such as high temperatures and pressures, would make it inhospitable for most forms of life.

How big would a Diamond Planet be?

The size of a Diamond Planet would depend on its composition and location in the universe. It could range from being as small as a moon to being as large as a gas giant planet.

What would happen if a person stood on a Diamond Planet?

If a Diamond Planet were to exist and a person were to stand on its surface, they would likely experience extreme heat and pressure, making it impossible for them to survive. Additionally, the surface would likely be covered in sharp diamond crystals, making it difficult to stand or move around.