Right Wing, Left Wing and world peace

• News
  • Thread starter Political Prodigy
  • Start date
In summary, today politics everywhere throughout the world are corrupt. Very few politicians elected (if its a democracy...it really does not matter) actually care about the people and the current most pressing matters at hand. Most care soley about their personal gain. After pondering a question I was asked by a friend I have come to some conclusions and questions that I would like to hear everyone comment on. The question was "Do you think world peace is even possible?" My answer is maybe because we do not know what could happen, things do change. However while thinking of a way I could talk about this question, I came up with a few examples to share with everyone.
Political Prodigy
Today politics everywhere throughout the world are corrupt. Very few politicians elected (if its a democracy...it really does not matter) actually care about the people and the current most pressing matters at hand. Most care soley about their personal gain. After pondering a question I was asked by a friend I have come to some conclusions and questions that I would like to hear everyone comment on. The question was "Do you think world peace is even possible?"

Now, when I heard this question I immediately said maybe because we do not know what could happen, things do change. However while thinking of a way I could talk about this question, I came up with a few examples to share with everyone.

First, let's talk liberals and conservatives, the left wing and right wing. While there are some independents and some "liberal republicans" and "conservative democrats," these politicians are too small in number to be able to pass any legislature without having the full support of one party. So my first example is this: My..."theory" is that if anyone politician, say it were a democrat came up with a plan that would be 99.9% sure to end world and congress was asked to vote on whether this plan should be acted upon/ enforced or simply whether or not to give government money to help support it, then the majority of the republican party would not vote for the plan, simply because the parties are so divided and there is so much friction between the two that they would automatically denounce each others plan, find any miniscule problem they could and make a fiasco over it. It happens more than you think. During the clinton administration, congress turned down many plans, bills etc. introduced by President Clinton simply because few republicans would vote for them. Now President Bush is in office and the republicans are the majority and they are voting for many things that bush has suggested (ex: 87.5 billion dollars to rebuild Iraq) which helped cause the deficit America is currently dealing with. If only the two parties were not so hostile towards each other, it would be so much easier to work towards solving things such as world hunger, even peace.

Physics news on Phys.org
More capitalism, less corruption:
http://www.heritage.org/Research/TradeandForeignAid/images/chart3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you use the word "Today" or limit your view to left and right wings. It is politics that is corrupt. It always has been and, as long as people are corruptible, it will always be. A favorite line of mine, from the movie "Extreme Prejudice", is "The only thing worse than a child molester is a politician."

How about treating this as a systemic disease ? Democracy overall is a very inefficient way of doing things, but it obviously has its perks in general. Add the nonexistent ethics of today and in my mind you're pretty close to the system we have.

PerennialII said:
How about treating this as a systemic disease ? Democracy overall is a very inefficient way of doing things, but it obviously has its perks in general. Add the nonexistent ethics of today and in my mind you're pretty close to the system we have.

I like this quote from Winston Churchill. "Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others have been tried." I believe it's true. It certainly is not flawless, and it can be greatly improved if the effort is put forth, but I think it is the best form of government to come forth in the world as of now.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Tr...ages/chart3.gif

Great link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aquamarine said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cor·rupt ( P ) (k-rpt)
adj.
Marked by immorality and perversion; depraved.
Venal; dishonest: a corrupt mayor.

There's reason it's called the 'rat race'

I like this quote from Winston Churchill. "Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others have been tried." I believe it's true. It certainly is not flawless, and it can be greatly improved if the effort is put forth, but I think it is the best form of government to come forth in the world as of now.

The old "stogie" had his moments ... easy to agree on this point though. Can't really see how the bump the political system to care about anything else except its own existence ... which is much what this comes down to as of now.

1. What is the difference between Right Wing and Left Wing ideologies?

Right Wing ideologies tend to prioritize individualism, free market capitalism, and traditional values. Left Wing ideologies, on the other hand, prioritize collectivism, social justice, and government intervention in the economy.

2. How do Right Wing and Left Wing beliefs impact the pursuit of world peace?

Right Wing beliefs may lead to a focus on national interests and military strength, potentially leading to conflicts with other countries. Left Wing beliefs may prioritize diplomacy and cooperation, but also may involve intervention in other countries to promote human rights and democracy.

3. Can a country have both Right Wing and Left Wing political parties?

Yes, many countries have a multi-party system where both Right Wing and Left Wing parties exist. This can lead to a balance of perspectives and a more diverse political landscape.

4. How have Right Wing and Left Wing ideologies contributed to past wars and conflicts?

Both Right Wing and Left Wing ideologies have been associated with past wars and conflicts. Right Wing ideologies have been linked to nationalism and imperialism, while Left Wing ideologies have led to revolutions and conflicts over resources and power.

5. Is there a way to bridge the gap between Right Wing and Left Wing ideologies for the sake of world peace?

It is possible for individuals to find common ground and work towards peace despite their political beliefs. This can be achieved through open and respectful communication, as well as a willingness to compromise and find solutions that benefit all parties involved.