Spatial Resolution calculation using wavelength (medical imaging)

In summary, the spatial resolution of MRI and PET scans are determined by a variety of factors such as the type of imaging element, feature contrast, detector spatial resolution, and background statistics. There is no simple formula to calculate this resolution and it may vary greatly depending on the specific equipment being used. The traditional telescope/microscope formula for optical resolution does not apply to these imaging techniques.
nobody0
Hi
Im comparing PET scans and MRI scans and I've noticed that MRI
s spatial resolution is 0.3-1mm while PET scans have a spatial resolution much larger, around 5-7mm.

I was just wondering how these figures are calculated. I've looked up some formulae and all I could find was wikipedia, with a formula for telescopes. In particular I need a formula which will make this work in PET and MRI calculations.

What I can't get my head around is that PET use gamma rays which have a shorter wavelength, which it would logically seem would produce more detail (a smaller/better spatial resolution) than the radio waves MRI uses (larger wavelength).

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody0 said:
Hi
Im comparing PET scans and MRI scans and I've noticed that MRI
s spatial resolution is 0.3-1mm while PET scans have a spatial resolution much larger, around 5-7mm.

I was just wondering how these figures are calculated. I've looked up some formulae and all I could find was wikipedia, with a formula for telescopes. In particular I need a formula which will make this work in PET and MRI calculations.

What I can't get my head around is that PET use gamma rays which have a shorter wavelength, which it would logically seem would produce more detail (a smaller/better spatial resolution) than the radio waves MRI uses (larger wavelength).

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with medical imaging equipment specifically, but generally speaking without knowing a lot of details about the systems, there is no formula because the resolution limit (actually it's not a number, it's a curve like a point-spread function or a modulation transfer function) of any imaging system depends on a number of factors. Wavelength is often not the most important factor, you need to consider what element does the imaging and how it works, how well does it image (for example even in a telescope the angular resolution is rarely determined solely by diffraction, it's also determined by alignment, mirror/lens quality, atmospheric turbulence, etc.), what feature contrast you're trying to see, detector spatial resolution and detected photon statistics, background statistics, and so on.

So there's no simple answer to your question, except to go to the manufacturer of whatever instruments you're using and see if they can provide you with something useful. I use x-ray imaging systems all the time for other applications, but the spatial resolution I get depends entirely on all these details, and might vary from 5-500 microns, vastly larger than the wavelengths used - I could do better but only in some specialized applications, and I generally don't have the photon statistics to make use of it anyways. If I was imaging a static object at a synchrotron, the game would change entirely, and so would all the numbers.

The optical resolution limit (in the telescope/microscope formula) only applies to devices operating on wave optics principles. MRI and PET don´t.

1. How is spatial resolution calculated using wavelength in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, spatial resolution is calculated by dividing the wavelength of the imaging system by the number of pixels or elements in the image. This gives the smallest distance that can be resolved by the imaging system.

2. Why is spatial resolution important in medical imaging?

Spatial resolution is important in medical imaging because it determines the level of detail and clarity in the resulting images. Higher spatial resolution allows for better visualization and detection of smaller structures, which is crucial in accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.

3. Can spatial resolution be improved by changing the wavelength of the imaging system?

Yes, the spatial resolution can be improved by using a shorter wavelength in the imaging system. This is because shorter wavelengths have a smaller diffraction effect, resulting in better image sharpness and resolution.

4. How does the size of the imaging sensor affect spatial resolution?

The size of the imaging sensor plays a crucial role in determining the spatial resolution. A larger sensor with a higher number of pixels can capture more detailed information, resulting in higher spatial resolution. However, other factors such as lens quality and image processing also affect the overall spatial resolution.

5. Are there any limitations to using spatial resolution as a measure of image quality in medical imaging?

While spatial resolution is an important measure of image quality in medical imaging, it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as contrast, noise, and artifacts also contribute to the overall image quality. Therefore, it is important to consider all these factors when evaluating the quality of medical images.