KVL & Node Voltages: Verifying Ans. to I

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to verify the solution for I=-4 Amps in a circuit with only current sources using KVL or KCL equations. The suggested approach is to assign variables to unknown voltage drops across the current sources and use them to create a system of equations to solve for the unknown current.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/408/circuit2w.jpg
We are asked to solve for I. I found I = -4 Amps.
I want to verify my answer using KVL in the bottom left mesh

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I follow the convention: voltage drops are positive, which means that the first sign I hit is the sign of the voltage. Starting at the 8 ohm resistor:

- 8*(-4) + ( ? ) - ( ?) = 0

I am confused because we usually apply KVL using the voltage drops/rise between elements. For the current source and the 2 ohm resistor, I have the node voltages between these elements. Therefore, I don't know if the current source is + (v2 - v1) or - (v2 - v1). Same thing for the 2 ohm resistor, I hit the - sign first, but is it - (v2 -0) or - (0-v2) ?

I am a little bit confused.. thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since your circuit has only current sources in it, did you consider using KCL node equations instead of KVL loops? If you solved the node equations for the node V1, then the current you're looking for is just V1/8.

If you insist on using KVL loops, then one way to approach current sources is to assign variables to the unknown voltage drops across them (choose whichever polarity you want, the math will take care of the details) and then use the current sources to place constraints on the relationships between the loop currents. This gives you the extra simultaneous equations you need to solve for the variables you introduced.

So suppose that the top loop is Loop2 with current I2 flowing around it. Loop1 is your loop with current I as shown. Both currents are assumed to be running counterclockwise around their loops. Then a suitable constraint equation as imposed by the 4A current source would be I2 - I = 4A.

1. What is KVL?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. It is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

2. Why is KVL important?

KVL is important because it allows us to analyze and solve complex circuits by using simple techniques. It also helps in verifying the accuracy of our circuit analysis solutions.

3. What are node voltages?

Node voltages refer to the voltage at a specific point or node in a circuit. It is the potential difference between that node and a reference point, usually the ground.

4. How do you verify the answers to KVL and node voltage problems?

The answers to KVL and node voltage problems can be verified by using the principle of superposition, where the total voltage is calculated by summing up the individual voltages around each loop and at each node. The total voltage should equal to zero for KVL and the node voltages should satisfy the KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) equations.

5. Can KVL and node voltages be applied to any circuit?

Yes, KVL and node voltages can be applied to any circuit, regardless of its complexity. These laws are fundamental principles of circuit analysis and can be used to analyze any circuit with multiple voltage sources and components.