Help for High School Student Participating in IMO

• Thread starter yasmine-math
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who wants to participate in an international olympiad. They are seeking help understanding what competitions such as AMC, WOOT, USAMO, and AIM mean and what resources they need to work on to improve their skills. The advice given is to get a book on problem solving and practice with high school level problems. The speaker is also advised to become familiar with basic proof techniques and not to solely rely on luck to be selected for a national team. The conversation ends with the speaker revealing they are from Morocco.
yasmine-math
hello friends .
i need to your help please.i am a hight school student.and i want participat in the international olympiad .i heard about AMC.WOOT.USAMO.AIM.and i don't inderstand what does it mean.
i know that i need to ressources to work.but i have no idea about it.
please help me .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yasmine-math said:
hello friends .
i need to your help please.i am a hight school student.and i want participat in the international olympiad .i heard about AMC.WOOT.USAMO.AIM.and i don't inderstand what does it mean.
i know that i need to ressources to work.but i have no idea about it.
please help me .

Get yourself a book on problem solving. I recommend "Art and craft of problems solving" by Paul Zeits. Also do a lot of problems from high school competitions. Begin with the easiest ones, and when you get a good grasp of the general ideas move on to a more difficult competition. What I mean by this is when most of the problems seem trivial and easy, then you should move on to something harder. You should also be familiar with and comfortable with applying basic proof techniques. This is my advice.

Which country do you live in? It can often be quite hard to be selected for a national team. It can come down to luck more than anything, so do not count on going to IMO. Just enjoy the problem solving process.

Functor97 said:
Which country do you live in? It can often be quite hard to be selected for a national team. It can come down to luck more than anything, so do not count on going to IMO. Just enjoy the problem solving process.

thanx .i am from morocco

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested in participating in the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)! It is a great opportunity for high school students to showcase their mathematical skills on a global stage.

To participate in the IMO, you will need to go through a series of competitions, such as the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) and the Worldwide Online Olympiad Training (WOOT). These competitions will help you develop your problem-solving skills and prepare you for the IMO.

The USAMO (United States of America Mathematical Olympiad) is the final stage of the AMC and is considered to be one of the most prestigious high school mathematics competitions in the world. The AIM (Art of Problem Solving's Interactive Mathematics) is an online learning platform that provides resources and training for students interested in mathematics competitions.

To prepare for the IMO, you can start by practicing with past IMO problems and participating in local and national mathematics competitions. You can also join a math club at your school or seek out online resources such as math forums and study groups.

I hope this information helps you get started on your journey towards the IMO. Remember to stay motivated, work hard, and never give up on your dreams. Good luck!

1. What is the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)?

The International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) is an annual mathematics competition for high school students from around the world. It has been running since 1959 and is considered the most prestigious and difficult mathematics competition for high school students.

2. How can a high school student participate in IMO?

In order to participate in the IMO, a high school student must first qualify through their respective national mathematics competition. Each country has its own selection process and team training methods. Students who have excelled in their country's national competition are then selected to represent their country at the IMO.

3. What kind of mathematics problems are given in the IMO?

The problems given in the IMO cover a wide range of mathematical topics, including geometry, algebra, number theory, and combinatorics. They are designed to challenge students' problem-solving skills, creativity, and mathematical intuition. The problems often require students to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions.

4. How can a high school student prepare for the IMO?

To prepare for the IMO, a high school student can practice solving past IMO problems and other challenging mathematics problems. They can also participate in local and national mathematics competitions to gain experience and improve their problem-solving skills. Additionally, attending training camps and working with a mentor or coach can also be beneficial.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the IMO?

Participating in the IMO can bring many benefits to high school students, such as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improving mathematical knowledge and abilities, and gaining international exposure and recognition. It can also open doors to opportunities for further education and careers in mathematics and related fields.