Understanding Limits: Solving Problems and Examples

In summary, the speaker is trying to learn mathematics on their own and is having trouble with problems involving limits. They are looking for a resource with examples and assistance in solving specific problems. The expert provides a summary of how to solve the two given problems.
hamsterman
I've been trying to learn some maths by myself. A book I found starts with a section on limits. I feel that I have a decent understanding of what is written, but then, there are some problems given that I just can't figure out. I feel like I'm missing something basic. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Maybe a resource with some examples of how to solve different kinds of equations would be enough. I'd also appreciate it if you could show how to solve a couple of problems I'm having a hard time with:

[itex]lim\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \frac{k^{2}}{n^{3}}, n\geq 2[/itex]

and

[itex]lim\sum\limits_{k=2}^n \frac{k-1}{k!}, n\geq 2[/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the first one, take 1/n3 outside the summation, the sum over k2 is readily available [ (n-1)n(2n-1)/6 ], so the limit will be 1/3.

For the second split it into two sums (k and -1 numerators). Compare them with each other. The final answer will be 1 (unless I made a mistake).

Thanks a lot, I see now.

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a certain pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term. Sequences can be finite, with a specific number of terms, or infinite, with an endless number of terms.

What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It can be thought of as the "end behavior" of the sequence.

How do you find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or the limit comparison test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the sequence and determining the value that they approach.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one that has a limit, meaning that the terms of the sequence approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a divergent sequence is one that does not have a limit, meaning that the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases.

Why is finding the limit of a sequence important?

Finding the limit of a sequence is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis. It allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future terms. It also helps us to solve problems involving infinite processes, such as infinite series and limits of functions.