Ideal gases thermodynamic enthelpy and internal energy change

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the general formula for enthalpy change, h2-h1 = integral[Cp]dT, and the specific heat constant, Cp/R, on a molar basis. The formula for enthalpy change is then shown to be h2-h1 = R/M integral (a+bT...)dT, which incorporates the conversion factor R/M to account for the molar basis. The conversation also touches on the values and units used in the problem, with the chart providing values between 1 and 25 in absolute value, b pre-multiplied by 1000, and c by 1M. The value for d for CO2 is 2.002X10^-9.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment ecxample001.

Homework Equations

See attachment D11.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first equation (Cp/R = a+bT+cT^2...etc.), Cp/R is the constant pressure specific heat. The general formula for enthalpy change is h2-h1 = integral[Cp]dT, so does Cp/R = Cp except Cp/R is the constant pressure specific heat on a molar basis?

Then in the next line of formula in the solution (h2-h1 = R/M integral (a+bT...)dT) how did it go from Cp/R to R/M? I'm totally lost in this. And by the formula do I seriously plug in these huge numbers (from D11)? I tried plugging it in and get keep getting somethign to the 17th power. I'm also very confused on the units, as there's a lot of variables and I'm not very clear on them and what they represent. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• example 001.jpg
    example 001.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,298
  • D11 001.jpg
    D11 001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,271
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the numbers in the chart are intended to be between 1 and 25 in absolute value. Values for b are premultiplied by 1000. C by 1M and d by 1B. So the value d for CO2 would be 2.002X10^-9.

thanks i know that from the chart. So how did the problem go from cp/R to R/M?

Enthalpy change is integral of CpdT. They give you Cp/R as function of temperature on a molar basis. So Cp is R times the polynomial. The M comes from the fact it is a mass basis.

So R/M is merely a conversion factor to get Cp molar basis back to the regular Cp?
Thanks a lot man.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. In an ideal gas, there are no intermolecular forces and the gas particles have no volume.

2. How is thermodynamic enthalpy related to ideal gases?

Thermodynamic enthalpy is a measure of the heat energy in a system at a constant pressure. In ideal gases, the enthalpy change is equal to the internal energy change, as there is no change in volume or intermolecular forces. This means that in ideal gases, the enthalpy change is equal to the heat transferred at a constant pressure.

3. What is internal energy change in ideal gases?

Internal energy change in ideal gases is the change in the total energy of the gas particles due to changes in temperature. In an ideal gas, the internal energy change is equal to the enthalpy change, as there are no intermolecular forces or changes in volume.

4. How does temperature affect ideal gases?

In ideal gases, temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of the gas particles. As temperature increases, the gas particles move faster and have more kinetic energy. This results in an increase in pressure and volume, while the number of moles and internal energy remain constant.

5. What is the relationship between internal energy and enthalpy in ideal gases?

The relationship between internal energy and enthalpy in ideal gases is that they are equal, as there is no change in volume or intermolecular forces. This means that the heat transferred at a constant pressure is equal to the change in internal energy of the gas particles.