Hydrogen to Helium Reactor, how much hydrogen to power earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of hydrogen that would need to be converted per second in order to supply the world's electricity consumption with a H-->He fusion reactor. The proposed method involves using the equation E=mc^2 to convert the mass of hydrogen to energy and then dividing the total energy needed by the energy output per 4H fusion. There is some discrepancy in the calculations, but the conversation concludes that approximately 8.28 E27 4H atoms would need to be converted per year.
cwolfx2

Homework Statement

Suppose we succeed in building a H-->He fusion reactor. How much hydrogen would have to be converted per second to supply the world's electricity consumption of 10^13kwh.

Homework Equations

This is what I am looking for, I think i can figure it out once I know the appropriate equation

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to first figure out the energy output of when hydrogen turns into helium. So i take 4 hydrogen at 1.00794 amu a piece, then 1 helium at 4.002602 amu and subtract the totals. Thus:

(1.00794 x4) - 4.002602 = .029158 amu I assume this number is the mass converted to energy?

From my book 1g of H--> HE is 650,000,000 kw of energy output (converted from 6.5x10^18 erg) So from there couldn't I figure this problem out by just finding how many seconds are in a year. Then dividing 10^13kwh by the total amount of seconds, then with knowing the output of 1g convert my Kw per second into amount of material?

I would like to know if I am on the right track or if I am disregarding something important (efficiency isn't involved).

Physics news on Phys.org
That all sounds like it will work, but it is tricky.
My instinct is to work with energy, converting 10^13kwh into Joules.
"1g of H--> HE is 650,000,000 kw of energy" is not clear - the units kw are for power, not energy. Anyway, kind of awkward so better to use E = mc² to convert the .029158 amu (change to kg first) into Joules. Then you can divide to see how many 4-hydrogens must be fused.

Are you sure of your reaction and the mass converted to energy?
It might be worth reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton–proton_chain_reaction

haha just so happen to be reading that as you posted..

So I took E=mc^2 and i plugged in:

(0.2916 amu x 1.66053 x10^-27 ) to convert amu to Kg

then that by c^2 which is 9x10^16 m/s

and got 4.358x10^-12

is that joules released by combining 4H to 1 he?

With my previous method before your help, I came to about 1.7g per second needed. That seem reasonable?

Yes to the 4.358 E-12 for converting 4H.
I end up with a 1000 times less mass per second than you got, but I'm not so great at calculating these days. When I converted the 1E13 KWH to Joules I got 4.35 E -12. Dividing by the energy of 4H gave me 8.28 E27 4H's that must be converted per year.

1. How does a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor work?

A Hydrogen to Helium Reactor is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that uses the fusion of hydrogen atoms to create helium and release large amounts of energy. The process involves heating and compressing hydrogen gas to form a plasma, which is then contained and controlled using strong magnetic fields. The intense heat and pressure cause the hydrogen atoms to fuse together, releasing energy in the form of heat and light.

2. What is the potential of a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor to power the earth?

The potential of a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor to power the earth is immense. By converting hydrogen to helium, an incredibly abundant and clean source of fuel, these reactors have the potential to provide virtually limitless energy. In fact, it is estimated that just one cup of seawater contains enough hydrogen to power a major city for an entire year.

3. How much hydrogen is needed to power the earth using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor?

The amount of hydrogen needed to power the earth using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor would depend on a variety of factors, such as the efficiency of the reactor and the amount of energy required by the earth's population. However, it is estimated that a single ton of hydrogen could potentially provide as much energy as 10 million tons of coal.

4. What are the advantages of using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor over traditional energy sources?

There are several advantages of using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor over traditional energy sources. Firstly, it produces significantly less waste and is a much cleaner source of energy, with no greenhouse gas emissions. Secondly, the fuel source, hydrogen, is abundant and can be extracted from sources such as water, making it a renewable resource. Additionally, the energy produced by a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor is more efficient and cost-effective than traditional energy sources.

5. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks and challenges associated with using a Hydrogen to Helium Reactor. One of the main challenges is the high temperature and pressure needed to initiate and sustain the fusion process, which requires advanced and expensive materials to contain and control. Additionally, there are potential safety concerns regarding the handling and storage of hydrogen, which is a highly flammable gas. However, with proper precautions and advancements in technology, these challenges can be addressed and overcome.