Solving a Triangle with the Cosine Law: Help!

In summary, the cosine law states that the cosine of the angle between two sides of a triangle is the sum of the two angles.
aisha
I just read about the cosine law and the sine law.

I have a practise problem and know to use the cosine law but what ever answer I get gives me a math error in my calculator.

the sides are a=4.3 b=5.2 c=7.5 I need to solve the triangle so find the 3 angles within.

[tex] a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc cos(A)\longrightarrow

18.49=27.04+56.25-78 cos(A) [/tex]

I tried bringing everything to the left side with the exception of cos(A) and then doing [tex] cos^-1 [/tex] but it just won't work in my calculator I keep getting a math error. :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're on degree mode? Trig is usually only used with radians, but this one should involve degrees.

Isolate the cosA

-64.8 = -78(cosA)
Divide by -78.

cos^-1(.83) should yield the answer, but if you're on radians, it probably won't work.

I got 33.82 as an answer.

Last edited:
Must just be an arithmetic error. I don't think it is a radian/degree issue.

Hi,
Dextercioby, haven't you realized that your post is completely wrong?
"Has it ever occurred to u that one side (viz."c") is exactly the sum of the other two...?I guess not,else u have realized that your triangle is not a regular one.It's a degenerate triangle.It has one angle of 180° and the other of 0°.The three summits are on the same line."
With a=4.3 b=5.2 c=7.5
Are you trying to say that c = a + b? And therefore 7.5 = 4.3 + 5.2 ?!
So... A = 33.82 is the answer.
Bye bye,
Viet Dao,

aisha said:

I have a practise problem and know to use the cosine law but what ever answer I get gives me a math error in my calculator.

the sides are a=4.3 b=5.2 c=7.5 I need to solve the triangle so find the 3 angles within.

I tried bringing everything to the left side with the exception of cos(A) and then doing [tex] cos^-1 [/tex] but it just won't work in my calculator I keep getting a math error. :cry:
Try rearranging the cosine equation:

[tex]a^2=b^2+c^2-2bccosA[/tex]

=> [tex]a^2+2bccosA=b^2+c^2[/tex]

=> [tex]2bccosA=b^2+c^2-a^2[/tex]

=> [tex]cosA=\frac{b^2+c^2-a^2}{2bc}[/tex]

Now try adding the numbers to this:

[tex]cosA = \frac{(5.2^2)+(7.5^2)-(4.3^2)}{(2 \times 5.2 \times 7.5)}[/tex]

[tex]cosA = \frac{27.04+56.25-18.49}{78}[/tex]

[tex]cosA = \frac{64.8}{78}[/tex]

[tex]cosA = 0.8307[/tex]

[tex]A = cos^-^10.8307[/tex]

[tex]A = 33.82[/tex]

Just do that for the rest (but with a = 5.2, b = 7.5 and c = 4.3 etc...) and you will have three angles for the triangle.

Hope that helps. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

aisha said:

Just out of curiosity, for [tex]cos^{-1}[/tex], are you hitting:

2ND key, COS key

or are you hitting:

COS key, 2ND key, [tex]x^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]cos^{-1}[/tex] is an abbreviated term for ARCCOS. Above your COS key, you should either have ARCCOS or [tex]cos^{-1}[/tex].

The only other possible problem is if you entered the equation into your calculator wrong. You can't take the arcosine of a number larger than 1 and that will also give you an error.

Last edited:
I got it I was subtracting [tex] 78 [/tex] instead of dividing both sides and isolating [tex] cosA [/tex]

My answers for the angles are <A=34 <B=42 and <C=104

1. How do I use the cosine law to solve a triangle?

The cosine law, also known as the law of cosines, is used to solve a triangle when you have information about the lengths of two sides and the angle between them. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the included angle.

2. What information do I need to solve a triangle using the cosine law?

In order to use the cosine law, you will need to know the lengths of two sides of the triangle and the measure of the angle between them. This can be written as a, b, and C where a and b are the known sides and C is the angle between them.

3. How do I find the measure of an angle using the cosine law?

If you know the lengths of all three sides of a triangle, you can use the cosine law to find the measure of an angle. Rearrange the formula to solve for the cosine of the angle, then use the inverse cosine function on your calculator to find the angle measure.

4. Can the cosine law be used to solve any triangle?

Yes, the cosine law can be used to solve any triangle as long as you have enough information about the sides and angles. However, it is most commonly used for solving oblique triangles, which have no right angles.

5. Are there any other methods for solving triangles?

Yes, there are other methods for solving triangles, such as the Pythagorean theorem, the sine law, and the area formula. It is important to choose the method that is most appropriate for the given information and type of triangle.