Help with distance between cities?

• Thread starter theintarnets
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance in kilometers between Panama City, Panama (9° N) and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (40° N) assuming they lie on the same north-south line. Using the equation θ = S/r and the given values of θ1 = 9 and θ2 = 40, we can solve for the distance S by converting the angles to radians and using the radius of the Earth (6400 km). Subtracting the two values of S gives us the distance between the two cities.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

Find the distance in kilometers between each pair of cities assuming they lie on the same north-south line:
Panama City, Panama, 9° N and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 40° N

Homework Equations

All we talked about in class is that θ = S/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure what to do... I assume I'm supposed to be solving for s or r, given that θ1 is 9 and θ2 is 40 but...I'm still not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
theintarnets said:

Homework Statement

Find the distance in kilometers between each pair of cities assuming they lie on the same north-south line:
Panama City, Panama, 9° N and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 40° N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure what to do...

The distance between them is along an arc - if you assume the Earth is a perfect sphere - we commonly do.

So what am I supposed to do? All I'm given is 9 and 40. I know I need S or R, but I don't know how to get them.

Nevermind, I think I've got it. Apparently the radius of Earth is 6400 km. So I converted the given θ's to radians and then solved for S for the both of them, then subtracted to get the distance between the two :D Thanks for the hint, PeterO

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with finding the distance between cities. To calculate the distance between two cities on the same north-south line, we can use the formula d = rθ, where d is the distance, r is the radius of the earth, and θ is the difference in latitude between the two cities.

In this case, we can use the latitude of Panama City (9° N) and Pittsburgh (40° N) to find the difference in latitude, which is θ = 40° - 9° = 31°. The radius of the Earth is approximately 6,371 kilometers, so we can plug in these values into the formula to find the distance between the two cities:

d = (6,371 km)(31°) = 197,401 km

Therefore, the distance between Panama City and Pittsburgh is approximately 197,401 kilometers. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is the best way to calculate the distance between two cities?

The most accurate way to calculate the distance between two cities is by using their coordinates (latitude and longitude) and the Haversine formula. This takes into account the curvature of the Earth and gives a more precise result.

2. Can I use Google Maps or other navigation apps to determine the distance between cities?

Yes, navigation apps like Google Maps can give you an estimate of the distance between cities. However, keep in mind that this is not always the most accurate method as it may not take into account traffic or road closures.

3. Are there any online tools or websites that can help me find the distance between cities?

Yes, there are many online tools and websites that offer distance calculators between cities. Some examples include DistanceCalculator.net, DistanceFromTo.net, and World Distance Calculator.

4. Is there a difference between driving distance and straight line distance between cities?

Yes, there is a difference between driving distance and straight line distance between cities. Driving distance takes into account the actual route you would take on roads, while straight line distance is the direct distance between two points without considering roads or obstacles.

5. How accurate are the results when calculating the distance between cities?

The accuracy of the results will vary depending on the method used. Using coordinates and the Haversine formula will give the most accurate result, while using navigation apps or online tools may give a slightly less precise estimate. It's also important to consider factors such as traffic and road closures when calculating distance between cities.