Resolving Forces Homework: 4\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + 12\frac{dx}{dt} + 9x = 0

In summary, Homework Equations state that the equation of motion for a particle moving under the action of a force is 4\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + 12\frac{dx}{dt} + 9x = 0. This equation can only be solved if the direction of the forces are known. If the forces are known to be in opposite directions, an error will occur in the solution.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle P of mass 4 kg moves along a horizontal straight line under the action of a force directed towards a fixed point O on the line. At time t seconds, P is x metres from O and the force towards O has magnitude 9x Newtons. The particle P is also subject to air resistance, which has magnitude 12v Newtons when P is moving with speed v m/s.

Show that the equation of motion of P is:

[tex]4\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + 12\frac{dx}{dt} + 9x = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way you get this is if you take 12v and 9x to be acting in the same direction. But how can they be? Surely they must be opposite? If I just resolve it assuming they act in opposite directions I get a sign error. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is a homogeneous 2nd order constant coefficient linear ODE. Just solve the auxiliary equation. Since there is only one distinct root: t = -3/2
I think the general solution would be: [tex]x=Ae^{-3t/2}[/tex]

Thanks for the reply, but I know how to solve the ODE... the issue is setting it up in the form they want.

Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
The only way you get this is if you take 12v and 9x to be acting in the same direction. But how can they be? Surely they must be opposite?

If the motion is towards O, yes.

If the motion is away from O, no. :wink:

(and sharks, a 2nd order equation has two independent solutions … in this case, (A+Bt)e-3t/2)

Hi, thanks for the reply. So, the motion is away from O then? How come?

hmm … why not? o:)
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
A particle P of mass 4 kg moves along a horizontal straight line under the action of a force directed towards a fixed point O on the line. At time t seconds, P is x metres from O and the force towards O has magnitude 9x Newtons. The particle P is also subject to air resistance, which has magnitude 12v Newtons when P is moving with speed v m/s.

So we're just supposed to guess?

well, mister glass-half-empty, they did give you the answer! :rolleyes:

you might even pick up an extra mark … or at least a smiley-face … for sarcastically pointing out the missing condition! :biggrin:

I'm confused... so if they didn't give you the equation of motion, then it would be impossible to tell what the directions of the forces were?

you'd have to put |dx/dt| into the equation :wink:

Ah okay thanks, that makes sense. This also made me think about F = ma... for a scenario where a single force causes an acceleration in the same direction, F and a are both positive, so F + ma = 0 leading to F = -ma? Or is that wrong?

i can't make any sense of that :confused:

a single force always causes acceleration in the same direction!

(it's only the velocity that can be in any direction :wink:)

get some sleep! :zzz:​

1. What does the equation "4\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + 12\frac{dx}{dt} + 9x = 0" represent?

The equation represents the second-order differential equation for resolving forces, where x is the position of an object, t is time, and the coefficients represent the forces acting on the object.

2. How do you solve this equation?

This equation can be solved using techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

3. What do the coefficients in the equation represent?

The coefficient 4 represents the mass of the object, 12 represents the damping constant, and 9 represents the spring constant. These coefficients determine the behavior of the object in response to the forces acting on it.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of this equation?

This equation can be used to model the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator, such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum. It can also be applied in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of systems under various forces.

5. What information do you need to solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you need the initial conditions of the object, such as its initial position and velocity. You also need to know the values of the coefficients, which can be determined from the physical properties of the object and the forces acting on it.