Is there an equation for convection?

• Thread starter bross7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convection
In summary: I am surprised why you didn't encounter this in full steam in your general physics course. (Maybe it was supposed to be an assignment for you folks to read and understand, which is equivalent.) Which textbook do you use? I use a textbook called "Modern Physics" by John G. Morris. It is a calculus-based book, and does not include the forced convection equation.
bross7
I know that there is an equation for conduction, and radiation, but is there an equation for convection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bross7 said:
I know that there is an equation for conduction, and radiation, but is there an equation for convection?

Yes,free convection can be modeled by nonequilibrium statistical mechanics (Boltzmann equation "momenta").But you need to know a great deal of physics to understand that...

Daniel.

A little addendum to my initial question. But does this equation actually exist? We were told this is an equation for convection but nothing else was said about it. There is nothing about it in the textbook, mind you it is calculus based and the prof is not teaching any calculus.
We were given the equation with absolutely no explanation whatsoever, and a few students are having some doubts about it's use as we have found not secondary source to back it up.

[tex] H = qA \Delta T[/tex]

It is the absolute lack of information given that makes us question the equation because it seems odd that nothing was described regarding it, and we received no derivation of the equation to understand where it came from that brings up question marks.

Last edited:
It is actually a onedimensional version of Fourier's Heat equation (which involves partial differential equations and advanced mathematics)...

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}=-kA\frac{dT}{dx}[/tex]

In steady state (when temperatures are not changing with time),

[tex]H = \frac{\Delta T}{R}[/tex]

(where R = thermal resistance = L/kA, H = dQ/dt ).

As far as I know the setup is based on emperical observations that the heat flow per unit time is proportional to the area of crosssection and to the temperature gradient. The constant k is the thermal conductivity of the material (which is strictly a function of temperature but can be assumed to be a constant for a small range of temperatures).

I am surprised why you didn't encounter this in full steam in your general physics course. (Maybe it was supposed to be an assignment for you folks to read and understand, which is equivalent.) Which textbook do you use?

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is convection?

Convection is a type of heat transfer in which heat is transferred through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. It occurs when warmer, less dense fluids rise and cooler, denser fluids sink.

2. Is there a mathematical equation for convection?

Yes, there is an equation for convection, known as the convection equation. It is a partial differential equation that describes the transfer of heat through fluids due to convection.

3. What factors affect the rate of convection?

The rate of convection is affected by the temperature difference between the two fluids, the viscosity of the fluids, and the size and shape of the object or container in which the convection is occurring.

4. How is convection different from conduction and radiation?

Convection differs from conduction because it involves the movement of fluids, while conduction involves the transfer of heat through direct contact. Radiation involves the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, without the need for a medium.

5. Can convection be observed in everyday life?

Yes, convection can be observed in many everyday situations, such as feeling a breeze on a hot day (convection of air), seeing boiling water (convection of water), or feeling the warmth from a fire (convection of air).