Uranium Sheets: Home Methods & Industrial Process

• Thread starter ddanon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranium
In summary, uranium metal has certain applications related to military activity. If one were to obtain uranium metal, it would be from depleted U stock - i.e., mostly U-238 with about 0.25% U-235. Any inquiry regarding the procurement or processing of U-metal or alloys outside of normal channels will attract attention from organizations responsible for international security and non-proliferation.
ddanon
sheets of uranium!?

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if getting a metal or a piece of radioactive material such as uranium, it could be flatten by ''home methods'' to be as thin a sheet or sheets. If it can't maked by home methods, please point me as its industrial process.
Thank you all ;P

Engineering news on Phys.org

ddanon said:
Hello everyone.
I was wondering if getting a metal or a piece of radioactive material such as uranium, it could be flatten by ''home methods'' to be as thin a sheet or sheets. If it can't maked by home methods, please point me as its industrial process.
Thank you all ;P

Why do you ask?

Just for know, and Why are you question?

ddanon said:
Just for know, and Why are you question?
Because uranium metal has certain applications related to military activity. If one was to obtain uranium metal, it would be from depleted U stock - i.e., mostly U-238 with about 0.25% U-235. Any inquiry regarding the procurement or processing of U-metal or alloys outside of normal channels will attract attention from organizations responsible for international security and non-proliferation.

Reading this post's question of "home methods" in relation to radioactive materials, reminded me of an exercise that a senior scientist did with us in an industrial setting to sink home the dangers of radioactivity.

A piece of paper, and a pen were handed to a gathering of us and each was told to sign the paper, then pass it on, until all of those present had signed it. Then the lights were turned off and a black light was used to display the results of how contamination from a relatively innocuous task can be shockingly spread.

As you can imagine, the test used an innocuous but highly fluorescent powder placed on the sheet of paper at the beginning- the people with noses, faces, clothing, etc smeared with fluorescence was mildly amusing- transfer to objects around the room was an eye opener, and then led the discussion of how careful one has to be when anything that is slightly radioactive has to be worked with.

I hope that the moderators' messages (on your posts) and this message gets through to you that you are working with concepts outside of your background at the least, and on a dangerous fishing expedition if you persist questioning.

ddanon, we take things very seriously here when people ask questions - and ask for advice - about doing things that could be a danger to themselves or others. Not just for others' sakes but also for our own liability.

ok. ;)

1. How are uranium sheets made for home use?

Uranium sheets for home use are typically made through a process called electrodeposition. This involves placing a sheet of metal, such as copper or nickel, into a solution containing uranium ions and running an electric current through it. This causes the uranium ions to deposit onto the metal sheet, creating a thin layer of uranium.

2. What is the industrial process for producing uranium sheets?

The industrial process for producing uranium sheets is much more complex and involves multiple steps. First, uranium ore is mined and then converted into uranium hexafluoride gas. This gas is then enriched in a centrifuge to increase the concentration of uranium-235, the isotope used in nuclear reactors. The enriched gas is then converted into a solid form and pressed into sheets through a process called sintering.

3. Can uranium sheets be used for anything other than nuclear reactors?

While uranium sheets are primarily used for nuclear reactors, they can also be used for other applications such as radiation detectors and medical imaging devices. However, due to their radioactive nature, strict regulations and safety measures must be followed for any use of uranium sheets.

4. How dangerous are uranium sheets to handle?

Uranium sheets are highly radioactive and can be dangerous to handle without proper precautions. They emit both alpha and beta particles, which can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. Therefore, anyone handling uranium sheets must have proper training and use protective equipment.

5. Are there any alternative methods for producing uranium sheets?

While the most common method for producing uranium sheets is through electrodeposition or sintering, there are other techniques being researched and developed. These include laser ablation, chemical vapor deposition, and physical vapor deposition. However, these methods are still in the early stages and may not be as efficient or cost-effective as the current methods.