Confused chemE major Please advice

In summary: Hi Bruce, I am a chemical engineer and I have faced and seen people facing similar situation. Now I am far removed from that field now.. anyway what comes to my mind.. 1) In US, reference is a big deal.. sites like dice etc.. are not effective.. have you made contacts.. if you decide to do MS, make sure you visit conferences and network ..after giving presentation. 2) what was your final year project? try to find a job in similar field.. and learn to exaggerate a bit.. if you did something in heat transfer.. make it specific to refinery application and then target.. many times, HR is like .. ok this
bruce88
Well, I graduated in May with a degree in chemical engineering with minor in mathematics and CS from a small college in TN, (gpa 3.75) with 20k in debt . I have just received my green card 2 months ago. Previously I was on student visa, thus I could not allow to work off campus / also I could not find any internship to earn relevant experience . From May, till now, I have started to look for jobs with no success. I just want some advice in order to solve this situation.

I know that grad school may not be a good option either, since the industry is almost run by BS plus you need relevant exp. In the worst case, if I have go to grad school, I want to do a MS/PhD in computational engineering or chemE with concentration in computational theory.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bruce,
I am a chemical engg and i have faced and seen people facing similar situation.
Now i am far removed from that field now.. anyway what comes to my mind..
1) In US, reference is a big deal.. sites like dice etc.. are not effective..
have you made contacts.. if you decide to do MS, make sure you visit conferences and network ..after giving presentation.
2) what was your final year project? try to find a job in similar field.. and learn to exaggerate a bit.. if you did something in heat transfer.. make it specific to refinery application and then target.. many times, HR is like .. ok this guys resume says hydrogen plant design, so let's shortlist
3) Keep option of doing totally differen stuf.. like MS in comp science open. i won't advice MBA as you are fresh and will face same situation again. later try to find job in SW company like aspen etc.. touting your SW knowledhe
4) see if you can get a research engineer job in univs.. so you do some project etc.

Wish i had thought of all this when i was struggling.. but anyways.. all the best

Hi chaturnar, nice to meet you, ^_^ , can you be more specific what field are you in now? May I guess that you are now in the IT sector ?

Thanks a lot for your advice, my senior projects were design and optimizing a plant producing an acid (this one mostly done by simulator), another one is using some new chain of bacteria to produce ethanol by fermentation and evaluate kinetic activity.

I am not interested in doing an MBA either, since I heard that people benefit from it the most if they are professionals and can get into a top 10 MBA programs.

I did the ethanol one, because one of the advisors told me biofuel field was booming, but it seemed to me that was a really bad choice.

In final years, I realize that I like to do simulation jobs as you said with aspen or ansys .., (that's one of the main reason I overloaded to earn a minor in math and CS. However, if i want to get into that game, a graduate degree in computational science will provide more useful knowledge. What make me confuse is that I don't know if I finish the MS , i still have to face the same problem like you said.

BTW, I know that people have a computational degree/applied math, doing numerical analysis , finite element analysis. If I have that degree, can I get a job in normal software industry (not simulation, think mobile computing or google, microsoft ) ?Bruce.

1. Why am I struggling in my chemistry courses as a chemical engineering major?

Chemical engineering is a highly specialized and challenging field that requires a strong foundation in chemistry. If you are struggling, it could be due to a lack of understanding of fundamental chemistry concepts or difficulty applying them to engineering problems. It is important to seek help from your professors, tutors, or study groups to improve your understanding and performance.

2. Should I switch my major if I am struggling in my chemistry courses as a chemical engineering major?

It is not uncommon for students to struggle in certain courses, especially in a rigorous field like chemical engineering. Before making any decisions, it is important to evaluate your reasons for choosing chemical engineering and if it aligns with your interests and career goals. If you are truly passionate about the field, it may be worth seeking academic support and putting in extra effort to succeed.

3. What are some tips for succeeding in chemistry courses as a chemical engineering major?

One of the best ways to succeed in chemistry courses is to actively engage in class, take thorough notes, and seek help when needed. It is also helpful to review material regularly and practice solving problems. Additionally, forming study groups with classmates can provide a collaborative and supportive learning environment.

4. How important is chemistry in the field of chemical engineering?

Chemistry is the foundation of chemical engineering and is essential for understanding and solving complex problems in the field. A strong understanding of chemistry principles is crucial for designing and optimizing chemical processes and developing new materials and products.

5. What resources are available to help me improve my understanding of chemistry as a chemical engineering major?

There are many resources available for students struggling with chemistry as a chemical engineering major. These may include tutoring services, study groups, office hours with professors, and online resources such as practice problems and videos. It is important to take advantage of these resources and actively seek help when needed.