2nd event horizon in black holes

In summary, the conversation was about a video discussing the possibility of black holes having an inner 2nd event horizon where light and energy are trapped. The person asking for clarification searched for an explanation but found nothing and was met with skepticism from others. The conversation then turned to discussing the different types of black holes and their horizons, including the Cauchy horizon and the conjecture that naked singularities cannot exist. The conversation ended with a recommendation to read a review of the Cauchy horizon and a discussion about the possibility of charged black holes.
tanzanos
I recently saw a video where it was stated that black holes may have an inner 2nd event horizon where beyond it is trapped light and energy! I have searched the web for an explanation pertinent to this hypothesis but found nothing.

Can anyone shed some light (if possible)?

Physics news on Phys.org
tanzanos said:
I recently saw a video where it was stated that black holes may have an inner 2nd event horizon where beyond it is trapped light and energy! I have searched the web for an explanation pertinent to this hypothesis but found nothing.

That was discussed on a thread here recently but it was all deleted by the mods because it's nonsense. TV physics is very entertaining but often just nonsense.

phinds said:
That was discussed on a thread here recently but it was all deleted by the mods because it's nonsense. TV physics is very entertaining but often just nonsense.
I will accept that is is nonsense since you say so and I have no reason to doubt you. I gather that contemporary understanding of Black holes gives us the ability to dismiss some hypotheses without hesitation?

tanzanos said:

I didn't see the video, so I can't say exactly what yours was about. However did you look up the Wikipedia for "Rotating black holes" and "Kerr metric"?

I suppose that a black hole can have several interesting horizons or surfaces, if it is either rotating or electrically charged.

You could also do a google search with keywords like "Reissner-Nordstrom" or "Kerr-Newman". It might be educational, or give you a better idea what the people in the video were talking about.

Personally I don't think there will be any reliable answer or consensus about interior of black holes until there is an accepted quantum theory of their geometry. But it is good to know something about the existing classical (i.e. non-quantum) models of BH. You are right to keep asking questions, also to remain skeptical.

Maybe this post from George Jones is relevant: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1973806&postcount=3.

"(Non-extremal) Rotating black holes have two horizons. The outer horizon, the boundary of the black hole, is an event horizon, and nothing too special happens as an observer crosses this horizon. The inner horizon is a Cauchy horizon, and some calculations indicate that measured energy density diverges at the Cauchy horizon."

Thank you all for the information. I will check it out. Lastly I really would appreciate it if phrases such as "its Nonsense" be kept out of my posts as they offer nothing and not forgetting that science requires us to be not only inquisitive but also sceptical too!

Thanks guys!

Charged non-rotating black holes also have two horizons as long as the charge is sufficiently small. If the charge is sufficiently large one can obtain a naked singularity. However there is a conjecture that these cannot exist. As for the charged black hole this makes sense because a super-charged piece of matter would have a great electro-static repulsion force and would unlikely become a black hole.

A very interesting read indeed. Thanks!

What is a 2nd event horizon in black holes?

A 2nd event horizon in black holes is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of a second event horizon beyond the traditional event horizon of a black hole. This second event horizon would form as a result of the extreme warping of space and time within the black hole and would act as a barrier preventing information from leaving the black hole.

How is the 2nd event horizon different from the traditional event horizon?

The 2nd event horizon is different from the traditional event horizon in that it forms a further distance from the center of the black hole and has a larger size. It also has a stronger gravitational pull and acts as a stronger barrier for information trying to escape the black hole.

What evidence do we have for the existence of a 2nd event horizon?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of a 2nd event horizon in black holes. However, some theoretical models and simulations suggest its existence and further studies and observations may provide more evidence in the future.

What implications does the 2nd event horizon have on our understanding of black holes?

The existence of a 2nd event horizon would challenge our current understanding of black holes and their properties. It could also have implications for the information paradox, which questions how information can be lost in a black hole despite the laws of physics stating that information cannot be destroyed.

Can we observe the 2nd event horizon of a black hole?

Due to the extreme gravitational pull of black holes, it is currently not possible to directly observe the 2nd event horizon. However, with advancements in technology and further studies of black holes, we may be able to indirectly observe its effects in the future.