Masters before Phd in Mathematics -bad idea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pursuing a master's degree before a PhD in mathematics. The individual is unsure about their ability to enjoy research and is considering a terminal master's degree to gain a better understanding of their interests. Others in the conversation agree that this is a good idea and can make one a stronger candidate for a PhD if they decide to pursue it later on. However, there may be shorter deadlines for starting a PhD program with a master's degree.
PiAreSquared
Masters before Phd in Mathematics --bad idea?

Hi all,

I am a senior at a regional campus of a large state university in the US. I have always thought that since I love math (and I do really love learning and doing math), that love of the subject would be enough to propel me through a PhD program, but now I am unsure. I have been doubting my ability to enjoy doing research to the point that I can complete a thesis, but moreover I have been doubting my ability to even be a capable enough researcher to even finish a thesis.

To add to the problem, I am beginning to feel that I have not given applied maths a far shake at this point. I have really only taken more pure math courses and I worry that I might end up enjoying applied math more.

So to my point, I really feel that getting a terminal masters degree in math and then reevaluating my abilities and desires pertaining to a PhD is the best fit for me, but I have heard that it is not recommended. I feel that in doing this however, I will get a better feel for what area of math I would enjoy most and it may be that all I need to sate my professional desires is a masters and I can just purse more advanced math as a hobby.

So what would you all do if you were me and how did you all go about making similar decisions regarding your graduate studies. Also, what are some of the disadvantages of taking this route?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

IMO it is a good idea. I'm doing that now (though not on purpose.) From my experience grad level classes are MUCH different than undergrad classes. Not just harder, but different. I mean they are harder, but that's not just it. I think before you can really determine if you want to do math, you should take so e grad level courses. I know of at least one person who thought he wanted a Ph.D. but started in a masters program and has realized that he doesn't want a phd.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all, and your reasons for doing so seem well considered. If you later decide to pursue a Ph.D., you can explain in your essay why you went for the master's degree first. If anything, it will make you a stronger candidate because you'll be better prepared, although beware that some departments may have shorter deadlines for people who already have a master's when they start.

1. Is it necessary to obtain a master's degree before pursuing a PhD in Mathematics?

No, it is not necessary to obtain a master's degree before pursuing a PhD in Mathematics. Many universities offer direct PhD programs for students who have completed their undergraduate studies. However, a master's degree can provide a strong foundation in mathematics and research skills that may be beneficial for a PhD program.

2. Will obtaining a master's degree before a PhD in Mathematics increase my chances of getting accepted into a PhD program?

Not necessarily. Admissions for PhD programs in mathematics are highly competitive and are based on many factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and academic achievements. While a master's degree may provide some advantages, it is not a guarantee for acceptance into a PhD program.

3. Will obtaining a master's degree before a PhD in Mathematics take longer to complete?

It depends on the individual's academic progress and program requirements. Generally, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a PhD in Mathematics can take 4-6 years. Some universities may offer an accelerated program for students who have a master's degree, but this is not always the case.

4. Can I switch from a master's program to a PhD program in Mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a master's program to a PhD program in Mathematics. However, this may depend on the specific university and program requirements. Some universities may require students to complete a certain amount of coursework or research before transferring to a PhD program.

5. Will a master's degree in Mathematics provide enough preparation for a PhD program?

It depends on the individual's academic background and the specific requirements of the PhD program. A master's degree in Mathematics can provide a strong foundation in the subject and research skills, but some PhD programs may have additional requirements or expectations. It is important to research and understand the specific program requirements before deciding to pursue a master's degree before a PhD in Mathematics.