Dont know what to do, not having fun with my current path

In summary, the speaker is a second year university student studying biochemistry but has no passion for it. They are considering switching to physics, but are hesitant due to their initial intention to attend medical school, past performance in physics and math courses, and concerns about employability with a physics degree. Their plan is to take some physics courses in the summer to see if they like it, but are worried about how it will affect their GPA for medical school. They also mention that biochemistry may have better job prospects compared to physics, with many biotech firms preferring chemists and chemical engineers over biochemists.
Protools
Hi, i know I've posted similar threads before but here it goes:

im a second year university student studying biochemistry. Now in theory its ok, and some of the courses are fun but i have no passion for studying biochemistry. i thought organic chemistry would cheer me up but its pretty dull as well (not as bad as inorganic). the only course i look forward to is spectroscopy, which is a physical chemistry class.

Now i want to make the switch into physics but the only things that are holding me back are:
1. i initially had the intent to attend medical school. i don't know if it will be better once (if) i get in. i can still apply with a physics degree, but i doubt my average vs me applying with a biochemistry degree.
2. in first year, i did bad in physics and math. granted i did pretty bad in all my courses but I am still not sure if it was because i didnt do the work, or maybe if it was in fact challenging. and i know first year physics/math is a joke compared to upper level courses
3. if i don't get into medical school, a biochem degree is easier to work with in terms of employability (biotech firms are booming, lots of money in it). i highly doubt i can do much with a bachelors in physics

my plan was to initially take a couple of physics courses in my summer off to see how i like it but if i do end up doing badly, it messes up my gpa for medical school, so i don't know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
All my BS biochem friends are working retail or in med school. The entry level degree for biotech is at least a MS, often PhD, and they don't hire biochemists as much as straight chemists and chemical engineers.

1. What should I do if I'm not having fun with my current path?

It's important to take some time to reflect on your current path and determine what exactly is causing you to not enjoy it. Once you have identified the problem, you can begin exploring other options and making changes to find a path that brings you more fulfillment and enjoyment.

2. How do I figure out what I want to do if I don't know?

Start by exploring your interests and passions. Think about what activities make you happy and fulfilled, and consider how you can incorporate those into a potential career path. You can also reach out to friends, family, or a career counselor for guidance and advice.

3. Is it normal to not know what to do with my life?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel uncertain or lost about your future. Many people go through multiple career changes and paths before finding one that truly fits them. Don't be too hard on yourself and trust that you will eventually find your way.

4. How can I make a career change if I'm already established in my current path?

Making a career change can be daunting, but it is definitely possible. Start by researching your desired field and gaining any necessary skills or experience. Network with professionals in the industry and consider internships or job shadowing to get a better understanding of the field. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor.

5. What if I'm afraid to take the risk of changing my career path?

It is natural to feel fear and hesitation when making a big change in your life. However, it's important to remember that staying in a path that doesn't bring you fulfillment and happiness may cause more harm in the long run. Consider the potential benefits and growth that can come from taking a risk and pursuing a new path, and trust in yourself and your abilities to make it work.