Calculating time/force applied on two blocks using coefficient of friction

In summary: You need F ext >F st fr to move the system!Okay I see one of the things going wrong there (infact you had the same thing in your original question, I couldn't catch it). As I said: FREE BODY DIAGRAM! :wink:Look at my FBD for the two scenarios: http://i.imgur.com/yav8u.pngThe external force (F ext in the figure) is NOT equal to the static frictional force (F st fr). If that were the case, the system wouldn't move at all! You need F ext >F st fr to move the system!Ahhh, so the force of static friction is only used to overcome the force of the weight and not the
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between two blocks is .60. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor is .20. If a horizonatal force is applied to the upper block (m=4kg) what is the minimum amount of time the two blocks (m=7kg) can cover 5 meters without the top block slipping?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the maximum force that could be applied to the top block:
.60*g*4kg = 23.5N
Then I figured the force of friction between the floor and both blocks:
.20*g*7kg = 13.7N

Since the force of friction between the floor and lower block opposes the maximum force applied to the top block I subtracted the two giving 9.8N, using this I divided by the total mass of 7kg giving an acceleration of appx 1.4m/s^2. From here solved for t = √(2d/a) = 2.67 s which is incorrect :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mesa said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between two blocks is .60. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor is .20. If a horizonatal force is applied to the upper block (m=4kg) what is the minimum amount of time the two blocks (m=7kg) can cover 5 meters without the top block slipping?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the maximum force that could be applied to the top block:
.60*g*4kg = 23.5N
Then I figured the force of friction between the floor and both blocks:
.20*g*7kg = 13.7N

Since the force of friction between the floor and lower block opposes the maximum force applied to the top block I subtracted the two giving 9.8N, using this I divided by the total mass of 7kg ...

I believe you were calculating the resultant force on the lower block. As such, you should divide the force by the mass of the lower block to get the acceleration.

Sourabh N said:
I believe you were calculating the resultant force on the lower block. As such, you should divide the force by the mass of the lower block to get the acceleration.

Yup, that works but I am having a hard time seeing it, what am I missing here?

A free body diagram. :biggrin:

EDIT: Another way to look at it: For lower block, the static friction from upper block and kinetic friction from ground, are the agents of motion.

Last edited:
Sourabh N said:
A free body diagram. :biggrin:

Another way to look at it: The static friction on the upper block takes care of its motion.

LOL, okay I am going to draw this sucker out again, I think I see what you are saying :)

Shoot I am still not getting this one, what if the two blocks were glued together and we pulled on the top block with the same 23.5N force would the answer still be the same?

mesa said:
Shoot I am still not getting this one, what if the two blocks were glued together and we pulled on the top block with the same 23.5N force would the answer still be the same?

Yes!

You would be wondering what difference does friction make, then?
If you apply a force larger than 23.5N, the boxes with static friction would start moving separately, since static friction can't keep them together anymore. Those bound by a glue, on the other had, stay together forever.

Sourabh N said:
Yes!

You would be wondering what difference does friction make, then?
If you apply a force larger than 23.5N, the boxes with static friction would start moving separately, since static friction can't keep them together anymore. Those bound by a glue, on the other had, stay together forever.

I am sure I am missing something simple here, okay if the problem were exactly the same and the two blocks were glued together and we put a 23.5N force on the set and they had a kinetic coefficient of friction of .20 with a total mass of 7kg then wouldn't that break down like this:

23.5N = 7kg*a so a=3.35m/s^2, however there is still kinetic friction to account for between the floor and the blocks opposing this motion so:

fk= 7kg*g*.20 = 13.73N
F-fk = 9.8N so acceleration would be 1.4m/s^2

I'm screwing something up but am having a hard time seeing it :P
How does the static friction cancel out vs glue? That's basically the difference right?
feeling a little more stoopid than usual today :/

mesa said:
I am sure I am missing something simple here, okay if the problem were exactly the same and the two blocks were glued together and we put a 23.5N force on the set and they had a kinetic coefficient of friction of .20 with a total mass of 7kg then wouldn't that break down like this:

23.5N = 7kg*a so a=3.35m/s^2, however there is still kinetic friction to account for between the floor and the blocks opposing this motion so:

fk= 7kg*g*.20 = 13.73N
F-fk = 9.8N so acceleration would be 1.4m/s^2

I'm screwing something up but am having a hard time seeing it :P
How does the static friction cancel out vs glue? That's basically the difference right?
feeling a little more stoopid than usual today :/

Okay I see one of the things going wrong there (infact you had the same thing in your original question, I couldn't catch it). As I said: FREE BODY DIAGRAM! :wink:

Look at my FBD for the two scenarios: http://i.imgur.com/yav8u.png

The external force (F ext in the figure) is NOT equal to the static frictional force (F st fr). If that were the case, the system wouldn't move at all!

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is used to calculate the force required to move one surface over the other.

How do you calculate the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object. This value is dependent on the materials and surfaces in contact, as well as any external factors such as temperature or lubrication.

How is the coefficient of friction used to calculate time and force applied?

The coefficient of friction is used in conjunction with the weight of the object and the angle of incline to calculate the force required to move the object. This force can then be used to determine the acceleration and ultimately the time it takes for the object to move a certain distance.

What are some common applications of calculating time and force using coefficient of friction?

Calculating time and force using the coefficient of friction is commonly used in engineering and physics to design and analyze systems involving movement, such as conveyor belts, car brakes, and sliding objects. It can also be applied in everyday situations, such as determining the force needed to push a heavy object or the time it takes for a sled to slide down a hill.

What are some potential sources of error when calculating time and force using coefficient of friction?

Some potential sources of error when calculating time and force using coefficient of friction include not accounting for external factors such as surface roughness or lubrication, using an incorrect value for the coefficient of friction, and not considering the effects of air resistance or other forces on the object. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors to ensure accurate calculations.