Career Poll 2: Matching Ambitions and Realities

In summary: Zz.I'm sorry, please continue.It would have been impossible for me to take physics and chemistry at the same time, so I switched to physics. I was still undecided about my career field, but I thought that physics would be a good foundation for any career I chose.In summary, because I switched to physics, my career ended up being in a field that I never would have imagined.

Career Poll 2 - Please read first post in thread before participating

• I am in the exact field and the exact specialization

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I am in the exact field, but different specialization

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am in the same area of study, but different field

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • I am in a different area, but related to it

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am in a completely different area than I envisioned

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I did not have an exact area and specialization in mind when I was at that age

Votes: 14 15.6%

• Total voters
I picked choice number five. Not exactly sure if that was the right choice. At one point in high school I wanted to do what I do now, but by the time I headed off to college I had changed my mind.

I started high school in the fall of 1998, and early on in high school I had wanted to be a software developer. Then the dot-com bubble burst, which put a big damper on that. By the end of my senior year of high school, I had decided I wanted to do particle physics. I got a B.S. in physics, and then a PhD in experimental high energy physics.

I work as a software developer now though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another bump for those who are in the work force but haven't taken the career poll yet. And I have yet to hear from one person who chose Option 1. If you did, and haven't contacted me yet, please do so.

Thanks!

Zz.

Another reminder about this poll. If you have completed your education, I would appreciate it if you can participate in this poll, especially if you have a STEM background (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).

I am debating whether to keep this poll open-ended, or to end this some time. Haven't decided yet. At some point, I would like to make some simple analysis of the result, but I think almost everyone can draw up his/her own conclusions from the way the poll has gone so far.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD FIRST BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN THE POLL

Thanks!

Zz.

I am in the same area of study, but different field.
In high school I wanted to be an electronics engineer. I ended up as a software engineer. In college I took physics and math, but I had trouble understanding the physics so I changed to a math major. I got a masters in math, but never worked as a mathematician. I started programming as a hobby and it ended up being my career.

I chose option 5.

From the time when I was in 3rd grade until the very end of my senior year in high school, I wanted to be some form of guitar player (Live, studio or whatever). When it finally came time to start applying to music schools, I started to panic. I thought everything that I had recorded to send to potential music schools was absolutely atrocious and I was embarrassed by it. All of this topped onto the fact that I hated playing in front of people. I don't like being the center of attention!

So, about a month after I graduated from high school I decided to enroll in college. It was basically an impulsive decision because, to be honest, I had never really envisioned myself doing anything other than playing music. Around this time, I started becoming increasingly interested in math and physics. Seemed to be a perfect fit!

I graduated last May with a degree in math and two minors (physics and astrophysics). On reflection this was, without a doubt, the smartest thing that I have ever done (Although, for a while I thought it was the dumbest!)

A few months ago I got a job as an operations researcher at Fort Knox, and so far I really enjoy it. My goal during and after college was to find a job that was mathematics oriented, so in that sense I'm right where I want to be now!

I voted #5 "completely different area." However, I might not meet the criteria for the poll. To be precise: I'm defending my PhD in about a month. I would argue that, for all practical purposes, I have completed my physics education.

However, one might reasonably argue that I am still "in school" until my thesis defense. If this is what you meant, then I apologize for the errant data point!

Either way, I think my response is within the bounds of the poll. Based on my current job applications and career prospects, it is overwhelmingly probable that I will work in a completely different area from my pre-university ambitions. But I won't be offended if you disagree. It's a cool idea for a poll, and I don't want to mess with the data.

Another reminder, especially if you are new to the forum, to participate in this poll if you qualify. Please read the entire first post of this thread before casting your vote.

Thank you.

Zz.

Another call for anyone who qualifies and haven't taken this survey yet, especially if there are any professionals who recently became PF members.

Thanks!

Zz.

Based on Zapper's extreme emphasis on choice 1, i think i'll deliberately choose a specific field and specialization from now (just for the heck of it :p ) though i doubt the poll will live long enough for me to participate in it and share my experience :P

Just to argue there exist examples of option 1: My best friend in high school intended a career in theoretical physics in the area of general relativity. Virtually all of his published papers touch on general relativity and he is a tenured professor noted as an expert in the field.