Could absolute motion exist in higher dimensions, if they exist?

In summary, there are different theories about the topology of the universe and the possibility of locating a central point or origin. Some suggest that the universe may have a finite unbounded shape or be situated on the surface of a 4D sphere, in which case a central point would exist and remaining stationary relative to it would be considered absolute rest. However, it is also possible that the topology of the universe is a closed shape in 4D, making it difficult to perceive a central point from our 3D perspective. If the origin point of the Big Bang could be pinpointed in a higher dimension, it could potentially be considered absolute rest. However, this raises the question of whether the principle of relative motion is invariant to observers in higher
Chemastro
If the universe follows a 3-torus or finite unbounded shape, or we are situated
on the surface of a 4D sphere, then the 'centre' if the universe will exist. If one could
locate the position of this origin in 4D space, and remain stationary with respect to it, then would that object be at absolute rest?

I was recently thinking about the concept of absolute rest, and why it cannot be defined. I understand that this is because everything is moving relative to everything else. For instance, if space is expanding, I’ve heard that everything is ‘moving’ away from everything else, and NOT from a point of origin. So it seems that a ‘centre’ of the universe cannot be located. Otherwise, we could say that if you remained stationary to this central point, then you would be at absolute rest.

However I’ve also heard of theories that the topology of the universe may be some closed shape in 4D, for instance a ‘doughnut’ shape. This is why we might not be able to perceive boundaries or origin points in our 3D perspective. But then I ask, if somehow you were able to probe or “peer” into the fourth dimension, or even map it out in some palpable way, and locate the origin point of the Big Bang in 4D (not 3D), and could somehow remain stationary relative to this point (in 4D)- would this then technically be absolute rest? (Assuming of course that there are no other universes but ours).

Or would a 4 dimensional view of the Big Bang resemble something counterintuitive to us such as an explosion coming from all directions at once? I’m assuming a 0-dimensional point is perceived as a unique 0-dimensional point to ALL dimensions?

So perhaps this boils down to my question of ‘Is the principle of ‘relative’ motion invariant to hypothetical observers in higher dimensions or just us? If the origin point of the Big Bang in spacetime could be ‘pinpointed’ in a higher dimension, could this point be considered absolute and all motion relative to it considered absolute motion?

Space news on Phys.org
There are possible spacetime geometries where the global structure gives some reference frames with special properties - like the largest volume or whatever. That does not need any special geometry, you can just take the comic microwave background and calculate all velocities relative to that. Physics is still the same in all reference frames, so it is just a matter of definition if you want to call motion relative to the CMB as "absolute".

1. What is absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to the concept that an object has a definite and unchanging position in space, regardless of any external forces acting upon it.

2. How is absolute motion different from relative motion?

Relative motion is the change in position of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. Absolute motion, on the other hand, is the object's position in space that remains constant regardless of any external factors.

3. Can absolute motion exist in higher dimensions?

It is possible that absolute motion can exist in higher dimensions, as the concept of motion in physics is not limited to just three dimensions. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the nature of motion in higher dimensions.

4. How do higher dimensions affect the concept of motion?

Higher dimensions can greatly impact the concept of motion as it introduces new variables and complexities. In higher dimensions, there may be different laws of motion and new forces that can affect an object's absolute motion.

5. Is there any evidence for absolute motion in higher dimensions?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence for absolute motion in higher dimensions. However, theories such as string theory suggest the existence of extra dimensions that could potentially support the concept of absolute motion.