Neutralize Hydrogen Sulfide Safely with Non-Toxic Chemical Compounds

• Thread starter whozum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutral
In summary, the person is looking for a way to neutralize hydrogen sulfide with a chemical compound that is not harmful to a human. They are thinking of a salt or a hydroxide. If water is produced, it will be because the hydroxide was used.
whozum
I want to neutralize hydrogen sulfide with a chemical compound that is not harmful to a human. It is acidic, right? So I'd need a basic compound, perhaps a salt or a hydroxide?

Any input?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean when you say "neutralize?" Render non-toxic? In air? In water? Remove from whatever system you've got? More details, please.

Get rid of, render ineffective. That kind of thing. Its just a question I dug up, I looked up the cause of bad breath and got 'hydrogen sulfide' and just wanted to think up a way to get rid of it.

Give some more details of what you are trying to achieve and quantities do you want to neutralize.

Hydroxide can be a good idea. You may also look for some precipitation reaction - most sulfides (apart from 1st and 2nd group) solubility is very low. Another way that I can think off is gentle oxidation to sulfur.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves

Its not anything comprehensive, I was just trying to get an idea of something that woudl work well. I initially thought of selenium hydroxide

H2S + SeOH => H2O + SeS

Right? But SeS is an active ingredient in shampoo so I don't think that would be a good thing to have in your mouth. So any other kind of hydroxide? Also, is water going to be a product regardless, if I use a hydroxide?

What If I use a salt, hydrochloric acid will be a product?

Im in general chemistry as an undergrad to give you an idea of my understanding.

What sulfur containg compounds do you know of that would not be harmful to humans ?

Listerine and hydrogen peroxide, think about what actually causes the sulfur production, I would highly suggest you refrain from using any FDA-unauthorized chemicals products for mouthwashes.

so-crates: I have no idea, sulfate?

GCT: I'm not going to actually do this, just trying to think of things. So the peroxide and listerine would halt sulfur production? How come?

Is there something that would react with hydrogen sulfide? Would this fix bad breath?

I'm looking up listerine and H2O2 now

Bad breath equals hydrogen sulfide? If you're trying to brainstorm a breath freshener, you'd be best served by hunting up a few more studies on halitosis. You'll find that hydrogen sulfide isn't a significant contributor to the "knock people over from the other end of the hall" bad breath that smokers and vegetarians exhibit --- you're looking at blends of amines, acids, aldehydes, ketones, and who knows what all else produced by bacterial and enzymatic action on food residues.

whozum said:
GCT: I'm not going to actually do this, just trying to think of things. So the peroxide and listerine would halt sulfur production? How come?

Is there something that would react with hydrogen sulfide? Would this fix bad breath?

I'm looking up listerine and H2O2 now

Bacteria make bad breath. Listerine and peroxides both kill bacteria. Without bacteria to make stinky gases, there is no source for bad breath. Also brush your tongue when you brush your teeth. Bacteria just thrive on the white stuff on your tongue.

Stop accusing me of having bad breath :(

I read it somewhere that hydrogen sulfide was a culprit behind bad breath, so I just quickly thought to myself how I might try to eliminate H2S

Im sure there's a lot of other factors, but since they weren't mentioned I would assume H2S was the major one. Anyway, this is more about chemistry, what do you guys think would be the best solution? I was thinking KOH, because then the product KS would be soluble right?

1. What is hydrogen sulfide and why is it dangerous?

Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless, flammable gas that has a distinct rotten egg odor. It is a byproduct of decaying organic matter and is commonly found in natural gas, crude oil, and volcanic gases. In high concentrations, it can be toxic to humans and can cause respiratory problems, nausea, and even death.

2. How does non-toxic chemical compounds neutralize hydrogen sulfide?

Non-toxic chemical compounds, such as iron oxide and sodium percarbonate, work by reacting with hydrogen sulfide to form less toxic compounds. This process is known as oxidation and it converts hydrogen sulfide into sulfur, water, and carbon dioxide, which are all harmless substances.

3. Are non-toxic chemical compounds safe to use?

Yes, non-toxic chemical compounds are safe to use for neutralizing hydrogen sulfide. They are specifically chosen for their non-toxic properties and are often biodegradable, making them environmentally friendly as well. However, it is still important to handle them with care and follow safety guidelines.

4. How do I know if I have successfully neutralized hydrogen sulfide?

You can test for the presence of hydrogen sulfide using a hydrogen sulfide detector or by using test strips. When the gas is successfully neutralized, the rotten egg odor will dissipate and the test results will show a decrease in hydrogen sulfide levels.

5. Can non-toxic chemical compounds be used in all environments?

Non-toxic chemical compounds can be used in a variety of environments, including industrial settings, wastewater treatment plants, and even in household plumbing. However, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and application instructions for each specific compound to ensure safe and effective neutralization of hydrogen sulfide.