Exchange energy of electrons in degenerate orbitals

In summary: Exchange energy is a relevant factor to stability because it helps to keep half-filled or fully-filled orbitals stable. The higher the exchange energy, the more likely it is for the electrons in the orbitals to exchange positions.
hav0c
We are taught that a reason for the stability of half filled or fully filled orbitals is due to the high exchange energy.
Now i get why the exchange energy would be higher compared to other configurations but i don't understand why electrons present in degenerate orbitals would want to exchange their positions..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
some different topics:
1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_electron_transition
2)
An electron jumps between orbitals in the same way as it moves around within a single orbital; "nature's law". The difference is that to change orbitals, some of the quantum numbers of the electrons have to changes.
3)
An electron does not have a position but occupies all space. Observations of the electron position are given in the wave function. Also related to the probability distribution function.
4)
The orbitals are eigen states of energy operator. Electron can exist in any state, but this state is representable by superposition of eigenstates.

janhaa said:
some different topics:
1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_electron_transition
2)
An electron jumps between orbitals in the same way as it moves around within a single orbital; "nature's law". The difference is that to change orbitals, some of the quantum numbers of the electrons have to changes.
3)
An electron does not have a position but occupies all space. Observations of the electron position are given in the wave function. Also related to the probability distribution function.
4)
The orbitals are eigen states of energy operator. Electron can exist in any state, but this state is representable by superposition of eigenstates.
Alright but i still haven't got my answer

hav0c said:
We are taught that a reason for the stability of half filled or fully filled orbitals is due to the high exchange energy.
Now i get why the exchange energy would be higher compared to other configurations but i don't understand why electrons present in degenerate orbitals would want to exchange their positions..

I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't think it's about "electrons wanting to exchange their positions", I think it's a mathematical factor that depends on the overlap of different orbitals.

Einstein Mcfly said:
I think it's a mathematical factor that depends on the overlap of different orbitals.

can you please elaborate?
my actual question is -how is exchange energy a relevant factor to stability and what is it actually.

What is "exchange energy" in relation to electrons in degenerate orbitals?

Exchange energy refers to the repulsion or attraction between electrons in degenerate orbitals. This repulsion or attraction affects the overall energy of the system and is an important factor in determining the stability and behavior of atoms and molecules.

How does exchange energy manifest in degenerate orbitals?

In degenerate orbitals, exchange energy manifests as a repulsion between electrons with the same spin and an attraction between electrons with opposite spins. This is due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

Why is exchange energy important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, exchange energy plays a crucial role in the calculation of the total energy of a system. It is also important in understanding the electronic structure and properties of atoms and molecules.

Can exchange energy be measured or observed directly?

No, exchange energy cannot be measured or observed directly. It is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of electrons in degenerate orbitals.

How does exchange energy affect chemical bonding?

Exchange energy is a major factor in determining the stability and properties of chemical bonds. It affects the arrangement of electrons in the bonding orbitals and can lead to the formation of stronger or weaker bonds depending on the relative energies of the orbitals involved.