Recycle Stream with Reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 12.20 in regards to a chemical reaction involving toluene, H2, and CH4. The person is struggling to calculate the amounts of toluene in stream G and K, as well as the liquid recycle stream. They are unsure how to use conversions to determine the extents of reaction. The conversation also includes questions about the total rate of toluene feed, the rate of H2 fed to the reactor in terms of the liquid recycle stream, and the rate of CH4 fed to the reactor.
member 392791

Homework Statement

Problem 12.20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I am having a hard time getting any values for the streams, so I am stuck at stream G and K and can't figure out how much is going into G since I don't know the liquid recycle stream. I don't know how to use that relationship with the conversions to get the extents of reaction, which is what I am thinking is needed.

Attachments

• 7.35.pdf
    391 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 7.35 attempt 1.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:

Homework Statement

Problem 12.20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I am having a hard time getting any values for the streams, so I am stuck at stream G and K and can't figure out how much is going into G since I don't know the liquid recycle stream. I don't know how to use that relationship with the conversions to get the extents of reaction, which is what I am thinking is needed.
Let RL represent the number of moles per hour of recycle toluene. What is the total rate of toluene feed to the mixer? In terms of RL what is the rate of H2 fed to the reactor? What is the rate of CH4 fed to the reactor?

What is a "Recycle Stream with Reaction"?

A "Recycle Stream with Reaction" is a process in which a portion of the reactants are continuously removed from the reaction and then recycled back into the reaction. This helps to maintain a steady state and increase the efficiency of the reaction.

How does a "Recycle Stream with Reaction" work?

In a "Recycle Stream with Reaction", a portion of the reactants are removed from the reactor and sent to a separation unit. The separated products are then recycled back into the reactor, while the remaining by-products are removed. This process continues until the desired reaction is achieved.

What are the benefits of using a "Recycle Stream with Reaction"?

There are several benefits to using a "Recycle Stream with Reaction" including increased reaction efficiency, improved product yield, and reduced waste generation. It also helps to maintain a steady state, which is important for reactions that are highly sensitive to changes in reactant concentrations.

What types of reactions are suitable for a "Recycle Stream with Reaction"?

A "Recycle Stream with Reaction" can be used for a variety of reactions, including both homogeneous and heterogeneous reactions. It is particularly useful for reactions that have a high activation energy or are reversible in nature.

What are some potential challenges or limitations of using a "Recycle Stream with Reaction"?

One potential challenge of using a "Recycle Stream with Reaction" is the additional equipment and complexity involved in setting up and maintaining the process. This can also increase the cost of the reaction. Additionally, the efficiency of the process may be limited by the rate at which the recycled reactants can be reintroduced into the reaction.